Multipole moments using spherical harmonics

In summary, during class, the instructor discussed solving Laplace's equation in spherical coordinates, which led to the concept of spherical harmonics. The "l" and "m" terms in the expressions correspond to different aspects of the physical reality, with "l" representing the dependence of the function on polar angle and "m" representing the dependence on azimuthal angle. These terms are used to find multipole moments for arbitrary charge distributions, with each multipole field varying as different powers of the radial coordinate. This can be thought of as a basis set to describe functions in 3-dimensions, similar to how a Fourier transform is used for 2-D functions.
poophead
Hello,

My question is fairly simple. My instructor solved in class today Laplace's equation in spherical coordinates which resulted in spherical harmonics.

I have not taken any quantum mechanics yet so this is my first exposure to spherical harmonics. What do the "l" and "m" terms in the expressions correspond to exactly in physical reality?

I'm under the impression that l = 0--> monopole, l = 1 --> dipole, etc. But what are the "m" terms for? And how exactly do I use these crazy formulas to find the multipole moments for arbitrary charge distributions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're basically trying to find a basis set to describe functions in 3-dimensions. Recall back when you described a 2-D function with a simple Fourier transform. There was a single set of "quantum numbers" to represent those functions. In 3-D you have a principle quantum number (n <->corresponding to the radial part of your fields). L and m relate to the dependence of the function on polar angle and azimuthal angle.

Multipole fields refer to the component of the field varying as different powers of the radial coordinate (monopole <-> inverse square, dipole <-> inverse cube, quadrupole <-> inverse fourth power etc.)

Related to Multipole moments using spherical harmonics

1. What are multipole moments using spherical harmonics?

Multipole moments using spherical harmonics are a mathematical representation of the distribution of electric charge or mass in a system. They are used to describe the strength and orientation of the electric or gravitational field produced by the system.

2. How are multipole moments calculated using spherical harmonics?

Multipole moments are calculated by expanding the electric or gravitational potential in terms of spherical harmonics, which are special functions that describe the shape and orientation of a system. The coefficients of the expansion correspond to the multipole moments of the system.

3. What are the applications of multipole moments using spherical harmonics?

Multipole moments using spherical harmonics have many applications in physics and engineering, including the analysis of atomic and molecular structures, the study of electromagnetic and gravitational fields, and the characterization of complex systems such as galaxies and planetary atmospheres.

4. How do multipole moments change with increasing order?

As the order of a multipole moment increases, its strength and spatial extent also increase. This means that higher-order multipole moments are more sensitive to the details of the charge or mass distribution in a system and can provide more detailed information about its structure and behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using multipole moments with spherical harmonics?

While multipole moments using spherical harmonics are a powerful tool for analyzing complex systems, they are most accurate for symmetrical and well-behaved systems. In systems with irregular or asymmetrical distributions of charge or mass, the accuracy of multipole moments may be limited.