Multipole Map with Healpix routines

In summary, to create a CMB multipole map from a Planck Data Map with Healpix routines on IDL, you will need to properly set up and enable Healpix within IDL, execute the mollview command to generate the map, and then use commands such as read_fits_map and ianafast to compute the power spectrum. Make sure to provide the correct pixel ordering scheme and consult the IDL documentation for further assistance.
physfed
Hello,

I have to create the CMB multipole map from a Planck Data Map with Healpix routines on IDL, and I just don't got a clue of how it must be done!

Can anybody help me?Thanks!

physfed

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
physfed said:
Hello,

I have to create the CMB multipole map from a Planck Data Map with Healpix routines on IDL, and I just don't got a clue of how it must be done!

Can anybody help me?Thanks!

physfed
First, were you able to properly get Healpix working within IDL? By default, enabling Healpix in IDL changes the IDL> prompt to HIDL>, which should make it obvious if it's working or not.

Once you have the Healpix routines working, it's a simple matter of executing the mollview command:
HIDL> mollview <filename>

The full documentation for the mollview command is here:
http://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/idlnode33.htm

Edit: Bah, I misread your question. The power spectrum is a bit more involved. Give me a moment...

Okay, the power spectrum has to be done with a few different commands. First, you read the FITS file using the read_fits_map (or read_tqu if it's a temperature + polarization map).

Once you have the Healpix map in memory within IDL, the next step is computing a spherical harmonic transform using the ianafast command (this requires that you have either the F90 or C++ anafast routine installed). Use the cl_out parameter to store the power spectrum, which can then be plotted. Make sure you provide the correct ordering scheme to this routine (the pixel ordering, either RING or NEST, can be read from the FITS header).

Documentation for all of the IDL commands can be found here:
http://healpix.jpl.nasa.gov/html/idl.htm

Related to Multipole Map with Healpix routines

1. What is a Multipole Map?

A Multipole Map is a representation of the radiation or gravitational potential of a celestial object in terms of spherical harmonics. It is used to study the distribution of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How are Multipole Maps created?

Multipole Maps are created using Healpix routines, which are spherical pixelization algorithms that divide the surface of a sphere into equal-area pixels. These routines use spherical harmonics to decompose the signal from the celestial object into multipole moments, which are then used to construct the map.

3. What is the advantage of using Healpix routines for creating Multipole Maps?

Healpix routines provide a fast and efficient way to construct Multipole Maps for large datasets. They are also designed to account for the curvature of the sky, making them ideal for studying objects on a spherical surface, such as the Earth or the universe.

4. What can we learn from studying Multipole Maps?

Multipole Maps can provide valuable insights into the large-scale structure and evolution of the universe. They can also help us understand the distribution of dark matter and dark energy, as well as the properties of cosmic microwave background radiation.

5. How are Multipole Maps used in cosmology?

In cosmology, Multipole Maps are used to study the anisotropies in the cosmic microwave background radiation, which can provide clues about the early universe and the formation of large-scale structures. They are also used to measure cosmological parameters, such as the density of matter and the expansion rate of the universe.