Multipole expansion on a sphere

In summary, the monopole term will always vanish, the dipole term can be found using the correct limits of integration, and the quadrupole term can be calculated with patience and careful attention to the integral setup.Best of luck!
darkpsi

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R, centered at the origin, carries charge density
ρ(r,θ) = (kR/r2)(R - 2r)sinθ,
where k is a constant, and r, θ are the usual spherical coordinates. Find the approximate potential for points on the z axis, far from the sphere.

Homework Equations

The multipole expansion of V and some manipulations on the charge density?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought I had solved the problem, but both the monopole and the dipole vanished and I believe the answer given was approximated by the dipole term. And when I decided to try the quadrupole, it got really messy. I ended up with (3πkR5/64εoz3. Is this right at all? I tried to change the charge density in terms of the vector, r', from the origin to the points on/in the sphere but I don't seem to be getting anywhere.
Here's what I did to find the dipole:

V(r,θ) = 1/4πεo * 1/r2 ∫∫∫ r'cosθ'kR(R-2r')sin2θ' dr'dθ'dφ'

Everything is fine until I integrate with respect to θ:

0πsin2θ'cosθ' dθ' = 1/4sin4θ' |0π = 0

The monopole did the same thing, but I expected that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The quadrupole was just a nightmare.

Thank you for your question. I understand your frustration with trying to find the potential for points on the z axis far from the sphere using the multipole expansion. However, I believe that your approach may be incorrect.

Firstly, the monopole term will always vanish since the charge density is centered at the origin, meaning that the net charge of the sphere is zero. So, it is expected that the monopole term will be zero.

For the dipole term, you have correctly set up the integral using spherical coordinates. However, when integrating with respect to θ, you need to take into account the limits of integration. Since we are looking for points on the z axis, the limits of integration for θ should be from 0 to π/2, not 0 to π. This will give a non-zero result for the dipole term.

As for the quadrupole term, it is indeed a more complicated integral and can get messy. However, if you set up the integral correctly and use the correct limits of integration, you should be able to get a solution. I recommend double checking your limits of integration and making sure you are using the correct charge density in your integral.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations! Remember, sometimes it takes a few tries to get the correct solution, so don't get discouraged. Keep trying and you will get there.

Related to Multipole expansion on a sphere

1. What is multipole expansion on a sphere?

Multipole expansion on a sphere is a mathematical technique used to describe the behavior of a function or potential on a spherical surface. It involves breaking down the function into a series of terms, each representing a different type of contribution to the overall behavior.

2. Why is multipole expansion on a sphere important in science?

Multipole expansion on a sphere is important in science because many physical phenomena, such as electric and magnetic fields, can be described using this technique. It allows for a more accurate and efficient way of analyzing and understanding complex systems.

3. How is multipole expansion on a sphere calculated?

Multipole expansion on a sphere is calculated using spherical harmonics, which are mathematical functions that describe the behavior of a function on a spherical surface. These functions are then combined with coefficients, known as multipole moments, to represent the different contributions to the overall behavior.

4. What are the applications of multipole expansion on a sphere?

Multipole expansion on a sphere has many applications in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the distribution of charge and mass on spherical objects. It is also used in the analysis of scattering and diffraction of waves on spherical surfaces.

5. Are there any limitations to multipole expansion on a sphere?

While multipole expansion on a sphere is a powerful mathematical tool, it does have its limitations. It is most accurate for systems that are near perfect spheres, and may not accurately describe the behavior of functions on non-spherical surfaces. Additionally, the convergence of the series can be slow for certain types of functions, making it less efficient for certain applications.