Multipole expansion of polarized cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field on the midplane of a uniformly polarized cylinder at a large distance from the center, where the dipole term dominates due to the distance being large compared to the radius. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations for the dipole potential and the multipole expansion, but these methods result in a total potential of 0. The question arises as to whether performing a multipole expansion is necessary, and it is suggested to calculate the effective dipole moment and use the equation for the electric field from a dipole instead.
phys-student

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the electric field on the midplane of a uniformly polarized cylinder at a large distance from the center of the cylinder. The question also says that because the distance is large compared to the radius the dipole dominates the multipole expansion.

Homework Equations

Vdip=(1/4πε0)(1/r2)∫r'cosαρ(r')dτ'
V(r)=(1/4πε0)∑(1/rn+1)∫(r')nPn(cosα)ρ(r')dτ'

The Attempt at a Solution

The polarized cylinder only has charge bound on the top and bottom surfaces and I tried to do the multipole expansion for each disc separately using the 2nd equation and then add the resulting potentials together to get the total potential so I could find the electric field by taking the gradient. However the 2 discs have the same geometry and opposite charges so I ended up getting 0 total potential and then I can't find the electric field. What should I do?. I also tried using the first equation for the dipole potential but ended up with 0 again.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know that you're required to perform a multipole expansion? Since you are told that the dipole term dominates, I would think not. Just calculate the effective dipole moment, and put it into the equation for the electric field from a dipole.

Related to Multipole expansion of polarized cylinder

1. What is the multipole expansion of a polarized cylinder?

The multipole expansion of a polarized cylinder is a mathematical technique used to understand the behavior of polarized objects. It involves representing the polarized cylinder as a series of point charges and calculating the electric field at a distance from the cylinder using Coulomb's law.

2. How is a polarized cylinder different from a non-polarized one?

A polarized cylinder has a net dipole moment, meaning it has a separation of positive and negative charges. This results in an electric field surrounding the cylinder. In contrast, a non-polarized cylinder has no net dipole moment and therefore does not produce an electric field.

3. What factors affect the multipole expansion of a polarized cylinder?

The multipole expansion of a polarized cylinder is affected by the size and shape of the cylinder, the magnitude and direction of the dipole moment, and the distance from the cylinder.

4. How is the electric field calculated using the multipole expansion of a polarized cylinder?

The electric field at a distance from the polarized cylinder can be calculated by summing the contributions of each individual point charge in the multipole expansion using Coulomb's law. The more terms included in the expansion, the more accurate the calculation will be.

5. What are the applications of the multipole expansion of a polarized cylinder?

The multipole expansion of a polarized cylinder is used in various fields, such as electromagnetism, optics, and materials science. It can be used to understand the behavior of polarized molecules and materials, and to design and analyze devices such as antennas, optical fibers, and capacitors.