Multiplying Rational Expressions

In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a math question involving fractions and factoring. The student provides their solution and asks for clarification on why it is incorrect. The expert explains that the student did not factor carefully enough and suggests writing out all the steps. The student acknowledges their mistake and thanks the expert for their help.
wScott
This is a question I have to do for tomorrow

[tex]\frac{1+4x+4x^2}{x}\times\frac{3x^4}{12x^2-3}[/tex].

I just factor the tops and then cancel where I can. This is what I came up with:

[tex]\frac{3x^4}{12x^3-3x}[/tex]

But the answer key says:

[tex]\frac{x^3(1+2x)}{2x-1}[/tex]

What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
wScott said:
This is a question I have to do for tomorrow

[tex]\frac{1+4x+4x^2}{x}\times\frac{3x^4}{12x^2-3}[/tex].

I just factor the tops and then cancel where I can. This is what I came up with:

[tex]\frac{3x^4}{12x^3-3x}[/tex]

But the answer key says:

[tex]\frac{x^3(1+2x)}{2x-1}[/tex]

What have I done wrong?

You aren't factoring carefully enough. You've got leftover factors floating around. Write out ALL of the steps!

[tex]\frac{1+4x+4x^2}{x}\times\frac{3x^4}{12x^2-3}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{(2x+1)(2x+1)}{x} \times \frac{3x^4}{3(2x-1)(2x+1)}[/tex]

NOW do your cancelling.

-Dan

Ouch. That hurt my pride. I forget to factor the factor usually, that's going to kill me one day.

thanks for pointing out that pesky little mistake.

wScott said:
Ouch. That hurt my pride. I forget to factor the factor usually, that's going to kill me one day.

thanks for pointing out that pesky little mistake.

Happens to the best of us. No worries, mate! :biggrin:

-Dan

Related to Multiplying Rational Expressions

What is a rational expression?

A rational expression is an algebraic expression that represents a ratio of two polynomials. It can also be thought of as a fraction where the numerator and denominator are both polynomials.

How do you multiply rational expressions?

To multiply rational expressions, we follow the same rules as multiplying fractions. We multiply the numerators together and then multiply the denominators together. Simplification can also be done to reduce the expression to its simplest form.

What are the common mistakes when multiplying rational expressions?

Some common mistakes when multiplying rational expressions include forgetting to simplify the expression, multiplying the denominators instead of multiplying the numerators, and forgetting to distribute the terms when using the Distributive Property.

Can you multiply rational expressions with different denominators?

Yes, you can multiply rational expressions with different denominators by finding the lowest common denominator (LCD) and then multiplying each term by the LCD. This will result in a new expression with the same denominator for both rational expressions, making it easier to multiply.

When do we use rational expressions in real life?

Rational expressions are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model real-life situations. For example, they can be used to represent rates of change, proportions, and ratios in various scenarios.