Multiplying/Dividing Rational Expressions(Playing with AlgebraII Fractions)

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem involving simplifying a complex expression. The solution involves dividing by the least common factor and using numbers of similar values to cancel out terms. The conversation also includes some joking and spelling errors. The final consensus is that the workings out are correct.
SETHOSCOTT

Homework Statement

[(4x-4x2)/x2+2x-3] * [(x2+x-6)/4x]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm so lazy, though, I do all this stuff mentally, so... Oby-kaby.
I individualized all groups into smaller units(I don't know how to say that in algebrish), by dividing by least common factor.

[4x(-1)(x-1)]/[(x-1)(x+3)] * [(x+3)(x-2)]/4x

then I multiply numerators, and denominators,

[4x(-1)(x-1)(x+3)(x-2)]/[(x-1)(x+3)(4x)]

then I use numbers of similair values to kill each other, resulting in...

(-1)(x-2)

THEN I got done doing some stuff, I got -x+2, don't know if right. Trembling in fear of overdominating, atomic family junky, math commander. Don't drink and use PC's. Then I was concured, which is insanely close to conquered, then somebody got worried of me posting problems, with them cheating, supplementing the ase of cheating, which goes back to me typing the work, then this paragraph, which doesn't open a continuim in explanations. But leaves the same question, and a new one. Did he spell continuim right? WHAT?!?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I concur.

The Bob

Well, we can't tell you whether or not you are right if you don't show us what you did!

WHAT?!? Concured? I edited, mentor, hoorah!

Did I do it right?

Heller?

SETHOSCOTT said:
Did I do it right?
The workings out are right.

The Bob

Sweet, muchas gracias, the bob.:!)

Related to Multiplying/Dividing Rational Expressions(Playing with AlgebraII Fractions)

1. What are rational expressions?

Rational expressions are algebraic expressions that involve fractions with variables in the numerator and/or denominator. They can be simplified and manipulated using basic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do you multiply rational expressions?

To multiply rational expressions, first factor both numerators and denominators completely. Then, cancel out any common factors and multiply the remaining terms in the numerators and denominators. Finally, simplify the resulting expression if possible.

3. What is the difference between multiplying and dividing rational expressions?

The process of multiplying and dividing rational expressions is similar, but when dividing, we must first invert the second expression and then follow the same steps as multiplication. This is because dividing by a fraction is the same as multiplying by its reciprocal.

4. Can you cancel out all common factors when multiplying or dividing rational expressions?

No, you can only cancel out common factors when they appear in both the numerator and denominator. If a factor appears only in one or the other, it cannot be cancelled out.

5. How do you simplify rational expressions?

To simplify rational expressions, factor both the numerator and denominator completely. Then, cancel out any common factors and multiply the remaining terms. Finally, use any algebraic rules and properties to simplify the resulting expression as much as possible.