Multiplication (powers) of fractions

In summary: It's difficult to know when you are dreaming up new ones, because it's hard to tell the difference between what is truly new and what is just a variation of something that has been done before.
bimochan
I am having difficulty putting this question...i can't explain exactly what i mean

Can anyone tell me in detail (history, number theory and all) about multiplication of fractions?

I know that 5^2 means taking 5, 5 times and adding them.
But what does 0.5^70 mean?

I need indepth answer! Any link would be appreciated as well.

thanking u in advance :-)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's really quite simple:

[tex]\frac{a}{b} \frac{c}{d} = \frac{ac}{bd}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\left( \frac{x}{y} \right)^z = \frac{x^z}{y^z}[/tex]

So taking your problem of 0.5^70, is the same as:

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^{70} = \frac{1^{70}}{2^{70}}[/tex]

Which is:

[tex]\frac{1}{1180591620717411303424}[/tex]

Zurtex, 5^10 = 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5
Similarly, what is 0.5^10? I want an answer in terms of addition (or subtraction maybe) :devil:

Well, why? And why can't you interpret what Zurtex wrote that way on top and bottom of the fraction if you *really* must. Incidentally, what is 1^10 in your version of thinking, since your idea of 5^10 is a factor of N off where N is a *really* big number.

grime, zurtex, I get your point. o:) But isn't there a deeper insight into division, multiplication,...? Maybe a brief history lesson will help.

oooppsss, :bugeye:
5^10= (((((((((5*5)*5)*5)...)
5*5=5+5+5+5+5

likewise what is 0.5^10?
I don't want it in terms of division! Is it possible to express it in terms of addition only?

No, it's not (and it's not necessary), because the number that you multiply with is the number of times you add. But this "number of times" is something that you should be able to count, so it must be a whole number.

bimochan said:
likewise what is 0.5^10?
I don't want it in terms of division! Is it possible to express it in terms of addition only?

0.5*X= The number which when multiplied by 2 gives X = The number which when added to itself gives X

Therefore

0.5^10=The number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives the number which when added to itself gives one.

Well you asked for it.

Gokul, if this "number of times" isn't a whole number as is the case here what should be done?

chronon, i'll reply to u later!

bimochan said:
Zurtex, 5^10 = 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5
Similarly, what is 0.5^10? I want an answer in terms of addition (or subtraction maybe) :devil:
umm... isn't that 5*10?

If you come up with a method that works to get 5^10 by adding then use that method on the numerator and the denominator of the fraction, then put the fraction back together. (3/4)^2 = (3/4) three forths times... it doesn't make much sense without multiplying or splitting it up.

bimochan said:
Gokul, if this "number of times" isn't a whole number as is the case here what should be done?

You should embrace fractions ! :smile:

The problem is I don't think there is much of an in-depth answer, it's just a simple extension of fraction multiplication which is very elementary.

I heard that Vector not only simplified writing forumla but also led to other stuffs that wasn't obvious before. Was it the case with multiplication too? It came to rescue addition and led to other things??

Is there any proof in mathematics which shows that (x) can be expressed in terms of (+) for positive integers only and not for fractions?

bimochan said:
I heard that Vector not only simplified writing forumla but also led to other stuffs that wasn't obvious before. Was it the case with multiplication too? It came to rescue addition and led to other things??

Is there any proof in mathematics which shows that (x) can be expressed in terms of (+) for positive integers only and not for fractions?
It's a conceptual jump really. Take for example:

[tex]3a = a + a + a[/tex]

For any real value of a, similarly:

[tex]a^3 = a*a*a[/tex]

However, how would you deinfe [itex]2.5*a[/itex]? Well it's fairly simply:

[tex]2.5*a = (2 + 0.5)a = 2a + 0.5a = a + a + 0.5*a[/tex]

Similarly:

[tex]a^{2.5} = a^{(2 + 0.5)} = a^2 * a^{0.5} = a*a*a^{0.5}[/tex]

But how does that help us at all? Although the 1st two where a nice way to think about what multiplication and raising to a certain power means, the latter 2 just confuse the situation and you need to just stick to rules for multiplication and raising to powers.

well, ok :approve: This much will be enough for now!

zurtex, can you tell me something about inventing new operators (and about fitting it into the already vast mathematics. or will it blend in magically?)? :-p

What branches of mathematics should I study for these sort of stuffs?

Last edited:
bimochan,

It would be a very good idea to get a handle on the existing ones before you start trying dream up new ones.

How would you know if they were new or different?

I agree with you Integral. But I don't care if it's new or old. I just want to enjoy mathematics :devil:. What I wanted to understand was the development of completely new ideas in mathematics?

bimochan said:
I agree with you Integral. But I don't care if it's new or old. I just want to enjoy mathematics :devil:. What I wanted to understand was the development of completely new ideas in mathematics?
I've not heard of the development of a completely new area of mathematics in a very very long times. Even quite revolutionary area of mathematics like probability or calculus that have only really come to light in the last few hundred years are still very much based on the mathematics that was already existing. A lot of mathematics is just building on old mathematics so you need to have good foundation of a lot of mathematics before you can start to understand new stuff.

I suggest you stick around on this forum, help people when you can and try and soak in as much maths that is beyond the level you are being taught. I've certainly built up my maths way beyond my peers by doing this.

Thanks for the tip zurtex. I think i'll follow it :smile:

Hey I think you've heard this one before but here it is anyway...

Descartes went to a bar. The bartender asked him if he wanted some beer to which Rene answered,
Rene - I don't think.. (and he disappeared)

P.S. :devil: I love this cute devil! And why can't I create a signature? Do I need to reach a minimum posting count for that??

Last edited:
Think in terms of multiplication.

"Zurtex, 5^10 = 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5
Similarly, what is 0.5^10? I want an answer in terms of addition (or subtraction maybe)"

5^10 is not 5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5+5 (which is 5*10), 5^10 is 5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
similarly, .5 is .5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5*.5
which is the same as
1 / 2^10 or 1 / 2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2

Related to Multiplication (powers) of fractions

1. What are fractions?

Fractions are a mathematical representation of a part of a whole. They consist of a numerator (the number on top) and a denominator (the number on the bottom) separated by a line.

2. What is multiplication of fractions?

Multiplication of fractions involves multiplying the numerators together and multiplying the denominators together. The resulting fraction is the product of the two fractions.

3. How do you multiply a fraction by a whole number?

To multiply a fraction by a whole number, the whole number is converted to a fraction with a denominator of 1, and then the same rules for multiplying fractions are applied.

4. Can fractions with different denominators be multiplied?

Yes, fractions with different denominators can be multiplied. The denominators must first be converted to a common denominator before multiplying the numerators together.

5. What is the power of a fraction?

The power of a fraction is the result of multiplying the fraction by itself a certain number of times. For example, the power of 2/3 to the 3rd power is (2/3) x (2/3) x (2/3) = 8/27. This can also be written as (2/3)^3.