Multiplication of a fraction

In summary, the equation \frac{-1}{x_0^2} (x - x_0) = \frac{-x}{x_0^2} + \frac{1}{x_0} is equivalent to \frac{-1}{x_0^2} (x - x_0) = \frac{-x + x_0}{x_0^2} = \frac{-x}{x_0^2} + \frac{x_0}{x_0^2}, which simplifies to \frac{-1}{x_0^2} (x - x_0) = \frac{-x}{x_0^2} + \frac{1}{x
username12345
Can anyone explain why [tex]\frac{-1}{x_0^2} (x - x_0) = \frac{-x}{x_0^2} + \frac{1}{x_0}[/tex]?

Is [tex]\frac{-1}{x_0^2} (x - x_0) = \frac{-1}{x_0^2} . \frac{(x - x_0)}{1}[/tex]?

After that I multiply to get [tex]\frac{-1}{x_0^2} (x - x_0) = \frac{-x + x_0}{x_0^2} = \frac{-x}{x_0^2} + \frac{x_0}{x_0^2}[/tex].

Then divide [tex]x_0[/tex] into [tex]x_0^2[/tex] which gives [tex]x_0^{-1}[/tex] which equals [tex]\frac{1}{x_0}[/tex].

The equation I am following misses all the intermediate steps so I want to make sure I am understanding it correctly.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi username12345! :smile:

ooh, that's very complicated! :eek:

just write 1/x0 = x0/x02 :wink:

Hey there,

Your ideas are right but, without giving too much away, there is one, small mistake in this line:

username12345 said:
After that I multiply to get [tex]\frac{-1}{x_0^2} (x - x_0) = \frac{-x + x_0}{x_0^2} = \frac{-x}{x_0^2} + \frac{-x_0}{x_0^2}[/tex].

The Bob

Sorry, that was a typo, should have been [tex]+ \frac{x_0}{x_0^2}[/tex]. Updated first post.

username12345 said:
Sorry, that was a typo, should have been [tex]+ \frac{x_0}{x_0^2}[/tex]. Updated first post.
That's cool. So do you see how the two are equated now?

The Bob

Related to Multiplication of a fraction

1. What is the rule for multiplying fractions?

The rule for multiplying fractions is to multiply the numerators together and then multiply the denominators together. The resulting fraction is the product of the two fractions.

2. How do you simplify a multiplied fraction?

To simplify a multiplied fraction, you can first reduce the fractions to their lowest terms by dividing both the numerator and denominator by their greatest common factor. Then, multiply the simplified numerators together and the simplified denominators together to get the final simplified fraction.

3. Can you multiply a whole number with a fraction?

Yes, you can multiply a whole number with a fraction. To do so, convert the whole number into a fraction by placing it over 1, then follow the same rule of multiplying the numerators together and the denominators together.

4. Why is the product of two fractions smaller than the original fractions?

The product of two fractions is smaller than the original fractions because multiplying two fractions results in a smaller fraction, as multiplying by a number less than 1 will always result in a smaller value.

5. Is it necessary to have common denominators when multiplying fractions?

No, it is not necessary to have common denominators when multiplying fractions. However, having common denominators can make it easier to simplify the resulting fraction.