Multiplication Maps on Algebras .... Further questions ....

In summary, the conversation discusses questions and clarifications regarding Lemma 1.24 in Matej Bresar's book "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra." The questions include clarifying assumptions made in the statement and proof of the lemma, as well as understanding the relevance of certain findings in the proof. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement of the helpfulness of the discussion.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need some further help with the statement and proof of Lemma 1.24 ...

Lemma 1.24 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=092a942624b9c0487a3dfca35ccaad07.png

My further questions regarding Bresar's statement and proof of Lemma 1.24 are as follows:Question 1

In the statement of Lemma 1.24 we read the following:

" ... ... Let ##A## be a central simple algebra. ... ... "I am assuming that since ##A## is central, it is unital ... that is there exists ##1_A \in A## such that ##x.1 = 1.x = 1## for all ##x \in A## ... ... is that correct ... ?
Question 2

In the proof of Lemma 1.24 we read the following:

" ... ... Suppose ##b_n \ne 0##. ... ... "I am assuming that that the assumption ##b_n \ne 0## implies that we are also assuming

that ##b_1 = b_2 = \ ... \ ... \ = b_{n-1} = 0## ... ...

Is that correct?

Question 3

" ... ...where ##c_i = \sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_i z_j## ; thus ##c_n = 1## for some ##w_j, z_j \in A## ... ...

This clearly implies that ##n \gt 1##. ... ... "My question is ... why/how exactly must ##n \gt 1## ... ?

Further ... and even more puzzling ... what is the relevance to the proof of the statements that ##c_n = 1## and ##n \gt 1## ... ?

Why do we need these findings to establish that all the ##b_i = 0## ... ?

Hope someone can help ...

Peter

===========================================================*** NOTE ***

So that readers of the above post will be able to understand the context and notation of the post ... I am providing Bresar's first two pages on Multiplication Algebras ... ... as follows:

Attachments

• Bresar - Lemma 1.24 ... ....png
    Bresar - Lemma 1.24 ... ....png
    85.9 KB · Views: 809
  • Bresar - 1 - Section 1.5 Multiplication Algebra - PART 1 ... ....png
    Bresar - 1 - Section 1.5 Multiplication Algebra - PART 1 ... ....png
    27.6 KB · Views: 525
  • Bresar - 2 - Section 1.5 Multiplication Algebra - PART 2 ... ....png
    Bresar - 2 - Section 1.5 Multiplication Algebra - PART 2 ... ....png
    29.5 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Question 1

In the statement of Lemma 1.24 we read the following:

" ... ... Let ##A## be a central simple algebra. ... ... "I am assuming that since ##A## is central, it is unital ... that is there exists ##1_A \in A## such that ##x.1 = 1.x = 1## for all ##x \in A## ... ... is that correct ... ?
Central means the center ## C(A) ## of ##A## is equal to the corresponding scalar domain, i.e. a field or a division ring at least. Since the center is part of the algebra, the field ##\mathbb{F} =C(A) ## is contained in the algebra. Then ##1_\mathbb{F} \in A##. So ##1_\mathbb{F}=1_A##, because it does what a one has to do: ##1_\mathbb{F}\cdot a = a## and there cannot be two different ones: ##1=1\,\cdot\,1'= 1'##.
Question 2

" ... ... Suppose ##b_n \ne 0##. ... ... "I am assuming that that the assumption ##b_n \ne 0## implies that we are also assuming

that ##b_1 = b_2 = \ ... \ ... \ = b_{n-1} = 0## ... ...

Is that correct?
No. We only assume at least one ##b_i \neq 0## to derive a contradiction. So without loss of generality, we assume it to be ##b_n##, for otherwise we would simply change the numbering. We don't bother ## b_1, \ldots ,b_{n-1}##. They may be equal to zero or not. Only the case in which all are zero is ruled out, for then we would have nothing to show: the ##a_i## would be linear independent.
Question 3

" ... ...where ##c_i = \sum_{ j = 1 }^m w_j b_i z_j## ; thus ##c_n = 1## for some ##w_j, z_j \in A## ... ...

This clearly implies that ##n \gt 1##. ... ... "My question is ... why/how exactly must ##n \gt 1## ... ?
If ##n=1## then ##\left( \sum_{i=1}^n L_{a_i}R_{c_i} \right)(x) = (L_{a_1}R_{c_1})(x)=a_1 \cdot x \cdot c_1=a_1 \cdot x=0## for all ##x \in A##, because ##c_n=c_1=1##. Especially ##a_1\cdot 1_\mathbb{F} = a_1 = 0##, but the ##a_i## are linear independent, so they cannot equal ##0##.
Further ... and even more puzzling ... what is the relevance to the proof of the statements that ##c_n = 1## and ##n \gt 1## ... ?
It is important for the sum in ##0=\sum_{i=1}^{n-1} L_{a_i}R_{xc_i-c_i x}## being a real sum and not only trivially fulfilled.
Why do we need these findings to establish that all the ##b_i = 0## ... ?
They are used to show all ##c_i \in \mathbb{F}##. Then ##c_1a_1+\ldots c_na_n## is not only an equation in ##A## but a linear one with coefficients in ##\mathbb{F}##. Now if ##0=L_{c_1a_1+\ldots c_na_n}## then ##0=L_{c_1a_1+\ldots c_na_n}(1_\mathbb{F})=(c_1a_1+\ldots c_na_n)\cdot 1_\mathbb{F}=c_1a_1+\ldots c_na_n## and the ##a_i## are linear dependent over ##\mathbb{F}##, because at least ##c_n \neq 0## and we have our contradiction.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks fresh_42 ...

That post was INCREDIBLY helpful!

Peter

Related to Multiplication Maps on Algebras .... Further questions ....

1. What is a multiplication map on an algebra?

A multiplication map on an algebra is a function that takes two elements from the algebra and produces another element in the algebra. It maps the algebra's elements to each other through the operation of multiplication.

2. How do multiplication maps affect algebraic structures?

Multiplication maps play a crucial role in defining the structure of an algebra. They determine the algebra's multiplication operation and how the elements interact with each other. By studying multiplication maps, we can understand the properties and behavior of the algebraic structure better.

3. Can multiplication maps be represented visually?

Yes, multiplication maps can be represented as diagrams called multiplication tables. In these tables, the rows and columns represent the elements of the algebra, and each entry in the table represents the result of multiplying the corresponding elements.

4. How are multiplication maps used in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, multiplication maps are used to represent linear transformations between vector spaces. They help us understand how a linear transformation affects the elements of a vector space and how it relates to other linear transformations.

5. What are some applications of multiplication maps?

Multiplication maps have various applications in mathematics and other fields. In abstract algebra, they are used to study the structure of algebras and their properties. In physics, they are used to represent and study symmetry operations. They are also used in computer science to design efficient algorithms for matrix multiplication and data compression.