Multiple Slit Interference and Driffraction Grating

In summary, a five-slit system with 8.4*10-6 slit spacing is illuminated with 610*10-9 light. The angular position of the first two maxima can be found using the equation θ = sin-1((m*λ)/d), with m = 0 and m = 1 respectively. To find the 3rd and 6th minima, the equation θ = sin-1((m/(N*d))λ) can be used, with m = 3 and m = 7/5 for the 3rd and 6th minima respectively. Depending on the interpretation, the 3rd and 6th minima can be found at
Godcanthelp

Homework Statement

A five-slit system with 8.4*10-6 slit spacing is illuminated with 610*10-9 light.

Find the angular position of the first two maxima, and the 3rd and 6th minima.

Homework Equations

For Maxima:
d*sin(θ) = m*λ
θ = sin-1((m*λ)/d)

For Minima:
d*sin(θ) = (m/N)λ
θ = sin-1((m/(N*d))λ)

The Attempt at a Solution

λ = 610*10-1
d = 8.4*10-6
N = 5

Subbing my values into find the first and second maxima I solve for θ = 4.16, 8.35 respectively. These answers are correct according to my online module.

However, I cannot find the 3rd and 6th minima.
My attempt:

for m = 3
θ = sin-1((m/N*d)λ)
θ = sin-1((3/(5*8.4*10-6))610*10-9)
θ = 2.49°

for m = 6
θ = sin-1((6/(5*8.4*10-6))610*10-9)
θ = 4.99°

These answers are given as incorrect using the online module.I read further into the problem and discovered that a system with N = 5 slits should have N-1 = 4 minima between each maxima. From the equation we can see that the 3rd minima will occur at 3/5 of one wavelength. Maybe I should try a trigonometric approach?
I am really stuck and any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it depends on how you interpret:
Godcanthelp said:
Find the angular position of the first two maxima, and the 3rd and 6th minima.
I'd argue that the first two maxima are at θ = asin(0*λ/d),asin(1*λ/d) and the 3rd and 6th minima are at θ = asin(3/5*λ/d) and θ = asin(7/5*λ/d), respectively.

Edit:
To illustrate:
asin(0/5*λ/d) → maxima
asin(1/5*λ/d) → minima
asin(2/5*λ/d) → minima
asin(3/5*λ/d) → minima
asin(4/5*λ/d) → minima
asin(5/5*λ/d) → maxima
asin(6/5*λ/d) → minima
asin(7/5*λ/d) → minima

etc.

Second edit:
I think arcsin, but I write asin. MATLAB habit.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was using 6/5 instead of 7/5

This still leaves me with the values 2.49, and 5.84 as the values for the 3rd and 6th minima.

The online module gives three attempts, and I've already used 2 (my friend told me to treat it as a double slit system, not surprisingly it was incorrect). Is there any other errors I could have made before I try this solution?

Godcanthelp said:
Is there any other errors I could have made before I try this solution?
If whoever wrote the problem statement agrees with my interpretation, then I can't see any problem with your solution for the 3rd (round to nearest integer perhaps, 2.50) and 6th minima. You're sure the result is supposed to be given in degrees?

milesyoung said:
If whoever wrote the problem statement agrees with my interpretation, then I can't see any problem with your solution for the 3rd (round to nearest integer perhaps, 2.50) and 6th minima. You're sure the result is supposed to be given in degrees?

Yeah the answer is required in degrees, appreciate the help. Thanks

Related to Multiple Slit Interference and Driffraction Grating

1. What is the difference between multiple slit interference and diffraction grating?

Multiple slit interference is a phenomenon where light passing through multiple slits produces a pattern of light and dark fringes, whereas diffraction grating is a device made up of multiple parallel slits that diffracts light into a specific pattern.

2. How does the number of slits affect the interference pattern in multiple slit interference?

The number of slits in multiple slit interference directly affects the number of fringes in the interference pattern. As the number of slits increases, the number of fringes also increases, resulting in a more detailed and defined pattern.

3. What is the difference between single slit diffraction and multiple slit interference?

Single slit diffraction is a phenomenon where light passing through a single slit produces a pattern of light and dark fringes, whereas multiple slit interference is a result of the superposition of light from multiple slits, resulting in a more complex interference pattern.

4. How does the spacing between slits affect the interference pattern in a diffraction grating?

The spacing between slits in a diffraction grating is directly related to the wavelength of light being diffracted. As the spacing between slits decreases, the angle at which light is diffracted also decreases, resulting in a shift in the interference pattern.

5. What is the practical application of multiple slit interference and diffraction grating?

Multiple slit interference and diffraction grating are commonly used in various scientific and technological fields, such as spectroscopy, microscopy, and laser technology. They are also used in the production of certain types of filters and lenses, and in the study of the properties of light and matter.