Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution

In summary, the conversation discusses a device that utilizes electric motors to turn two counterweight blocks on rotating arms. The question is about determining the motion of the freely turning body and the factors that affect it. It is determined that the green arms will swing out and in with the red blocks describing ellipses or circles depending on the mass of the green arms. Shortening the red bars or lengthening the green bars can also affect the sweep of the green arms. It is also mentioned that the angular position of the red axes must be synchronized for the device to work properly.
JaredJHuffman
I've simplified my question to make it easier to explain; I'm trying to find a way to determine the motion of a freely turning body as resultant of 2 counter-weights on rotating arms.

Here's my write-up:

Description: Electric motors turn both orange shafts clockwise at constant angular velocity. Both weights start out closest to the center blue shaft as shown in Position 0 and rotate with their respective orange shafts. The orange shafts turn freely with respect to the green arms, and the green arms turn freely with respect to the blue shaft. All objects’ masses are negligible except for the red counterweight blocks, and the blue shaft is grounded. See pictures for positions 0, 1, and 2 for the relative motion of the red arms at 90 degree intervals.

Question: What is the rotational position of the green arms over time? What factors will affect this motion?

Thanks for any help you can offer! Let me know if there's anything I can clear up about the situation.

Attachments

• RotatingSystem-Position0.JPG
    RotatingSystem-Position0.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 410
  • RotatingSystem-Position1.JPG
    RotatingSystem-Position1.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 366
  • RotatingSystem-Position2.JPG
    RotatingSystem-Position2.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

I assume you mean, that the motors turn the red arms relative to the green arms with constant angular velocity (and not freely as you said). If so, conservation of the initial zero (angular) momentum will make the line from the CM of one block to the CM of the other stay fixed in inertial space, meaning the green arm will swing out to a maximum when the red arm is at 90 deg to the green arm (picture 2) and then back in when the angle is 180 deg (picture 3). Seen from above the red blocks would appear to slide directly away from the blue center and then directly back in. To the extend the green arms do have some mass, they will carry some of the momentum making the red blocks (as seen from above) describe ellipses instead of straight in and out. The more mass the green arms have relative to the red blocks the less the green arms swing out and in and the more the red blocks describe a circle as seen from above.

PS: I assume this is not homework. If it is, you should ignore my answer and post in the homework section of the forum.

Thanks for the explanation! I'm actually trying to impart a vibration by the oscillation of the green bars, so this is the motion I was hoping to get. If I understand correctly, I could get less sweep out of the green bars by shortening the red bars or by lengthening the green bars (or both)?

JaredJHuffman said:
If I understand correctly, I could get less sweep out of the green bars by shortening the red bars or by lengthening the green bars (or both)?

Yes.

If this is going to be a practical device for vibrating the green part you most likely need to ensure that the angular position of the two red axis relative to the green arms are synchronized. If you don't and one of the axis gets 180 deg out of phase with the other, the green part will no longer rotate back and forth around the blue axis but just deliver a translational force that rotates.

If you are only interested in delivering a rotational vibration I would think it should be possible to make a simpler device that requires only a single drive engine and a single moving part.

You're absolutely right about the timing; even a few degrees out of time would cause it to drift. Thanks for all the help!

Related to Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution

What is meant by "Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution"?

Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution refers to a system of multiple objects that are rotating around a central axis, where each object has its own mass and rotational speed. This system is commonly seen in machinery, such as engines and turbines, and can also be applied to celestial bodies in space.

What are the key factors that affect the behavior of Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution?

The key factors that affect the behavior of Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution include the masses of the objects, their distances from the central axis, and their individual rotational speeds. These factors determine the overall rotational speed and stability of the system.

How does the Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum apply to Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution?

The Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. In the case of Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution, the combined angular momentum of all the objects in the system remains constant as they rotate around the central axis.

Can Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution be used to generate energy?

Yes, Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution can be used to generate energy through the principle of rotational kinetic energy. This is commonly seen in power plants, where turbines with multiple rotating masses are connected to generators to produce electricity.

What are some real-world applications of Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution?

Multiple Rotating Masses in Revolution has a wide range of real-world applications, including power generation, vehicle engines, and even celestial mechanics in the study of planets and stars. It is also used in the design of gyroscopes for navigation and stabilization purposes.