An apple falls from a tree and 0.5 second later hits the ground

In summary, the apple falling from the tree experiences a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s during every second it falls. In half a second, its velocity increases by approximately 5 m/s. It is important to note the units when calculating velocity, as it should be v = gt = 5 m/s, not 5 m/s^2.
espo
will you tell me if my answer is correct? An apple falls from a tree
and 0.5 second later hits the ground. how fst is the apple falling
when it hits the ground. i think it is v = gt 5.0m/s2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by espo
will you tell me if my answer is correct? An apple falls from a tree
and 0.5 second later hits the ground. how fst is the apple falling
when it hits the ground. i think it is v = gt 5.0m/s2
Yes, espo, that's correct. Since the apple experiences a constant acceleration, its velocity is growing at a constant rate. In other words, the apple's velocity increases by 9.8 m/s during every second it falls.

In a half a second, its velocity increases only half of what it would in a full second, or approximately 5 m/s.

(Be careful with your units -- I believe you meant to say v = gt = 5 m/s, not 5 m/s^2.)

- Warren

Yes, your answer is correct. The formula for calculating the velocity of a falling object is v = gt, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2 on Earth). In this case, the apple would be falling at a velocity of 4.9 m/s when it hits the ground.

1. What is the force that causes the apple to fall from the tree?

The force that causes the apple to fall from the tree is gravity. Gravity is the natural force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth.

2. How does the distance from the tree affect the time it takes for the apple to hit the ground?

The distance from the tree does not affect the time it takes for the apple to hit the ground. The acceleration due to gravity is constant, so the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height will always be the same.

3. Why does the apple fall straight down instead of moving sideways?

The apple falls straight down due to the force of gravity acting on it. Gravity pulls objects towards the center of the Earth, so the apple falls directly towards the ground.

4. Does the mass of the apple affect the time it takes for it to fall to the ground?

No, the mass of the apple does not affect the time it takes for it to fall to the ground. The acceleration due to gravity is the same for all objects regardless of their mass.

5. How is the time it takes for the apple to fall related to its weight?

The time it takes for the apple to fall is not directly related to its weight. However, the weight of an object is a result of its mass and the force of gravity acting on it. Therefore, the weight of the apple does play a role in how fast it falls, but it is not the determining factor in the time it takes to fall.