Multiple engineering disciplines

In summary, the speaker is currently studying Software Engineering but also has a passion for mechanical systems and electronics. They wonder if it's possible to study multiple fields of engineering, but acknowledge that this may depend on their time and resources. Their main concern is whether they will be accredited and acknowledged in these multiple areas of study, but it's suggested that they talk to their faculty advisor for guidance.
Spy Chicken
I'm currently studying Software Engineering. But I also have a major passion and interest in mechanical systems and electronics (specifically electrodynamics and pretty much anything which involves physics and mathematics). Since I have a giant greed for knowledge, is there a possibility that I could study multiple fields of engineering? Perhaps not simultaneously, but studying another discipline after my initial degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
Spy Chicken said:
I'm currently studying Software Engineering. But I also have a major passion and interest in mechanical systems and electronics (specifically electrodynamics and pretty much anything which involves physics and mathematics). Since I have a giant greed for knowledge, is there a possibility that I could study multiple fields of engineering? Perhaps not simultaneously, but studying another discipline after my initial degree.

It's going to depend on how much time and money you can devote to school.

Things like having a job or a life can get in the way of being a full-time professional student. :eek:

Likes Loststudent22
I suppose my main concern is if I will be accredited and acknowledged in the multiple areas of study.

Spy Chicken said:
I suppose my main concern is if I will be accredited and acknowledged in the multiple areas of study.
If this is what you want, you'll have to attend a school with an accredited engineering program and obtain a degree, especially if you want to practice in another engineering field.

There may be online courses you can take for certain topics, which count as continuing education credits, for example, if you obtain a professional engineer's license.

Since you appear to be currently in school, why don't you talk things over with your faculty advisor?

Related to Multiple engineering disciplines

1. What are the different disciplines within engineering?

The main disciplines within engineering include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering.

2. Can someone specialize in more than one engineering discipline?

Yes, many engineers choose to specialize in more than one discipline. This can be beneficial as it allows for a wider range of skills and knowledge, making them more versatile in the job market.

3. What is the benefit of studying multiple engineering disciplines?

Studying multiple engineering disciplines can give you a broader understanding of engineering as a whole. It also allows for more career opportunities and the ability to work on interdisciplinary projects.

4. Are there any commonalities between different engineering disciplines?

Yes, there are common principles and concepts that apply to all engineering disciplines, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail. Additionally, many engineering disciplines require knowledge of math, physics, and other sciences.

5. Can someone switch between engineering disciplines during their career?

Yes, it is possible for an engineer to switch between disciplines during their career. This may require additional education or training, but many principles and skills are transferable between disciplines.