Multiple constraints: Connecting rods for high performance engines

In summary, the conversation discusses how to combine two formulas to find the material index. The first two combinations are achieved by transposing for A in the mass equation and then substituting into the stress equation. The next combinations involve isolating L and inserting it into the next formula. Ultimately, rearranging and substituting leads to finding the material index.
PCarson85
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown.
Summary:: How to combine two formulas to find the material index

Attached is the problem I am having trouble understanding.

I have been able to do the first two combinations by transposing for A in the mass equation then subsituting into the stress equation. The next combinations (in red box) are harder to see. Is L isolated and then inserted into the next formula? How is this broken down?

Thanks for any help on this.

Attachments

• Homework help.png
    Homework help.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 128
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @PCarson85, :welcome: !

(10.5) ##\Rightarrow I = L^2 F / (\pi^2 E) ##
##I = b^3 w/12 ## & ##b = \alpha w \ \Rightarrow I = \displaystyle {\alpha^3w^4\over 12} ##
##A = bw ## & ##b = \alpha w \ \Rightarrow A = \alpha w^2 \Rightarrow I = \alpha A^2/12 \Rightarrow A = \sqrt {\displaystyle {12 I\over \alpha}} = \sqrt{\displaystyle {12 L^2F\over \alpha \pi^2E}}##
Rearrange and substitute in (10.1) to get (10.6) :cool:

Likes berkeman, Lnewqban and PCarson85
Of course... b x w is area... much appreciated!

Likes BvU

Related to Multiple constraints: Connecting rods for high performance engines

1. What are the main factors that influence the design of connecting rods for high performance engines?

The main factors that influence the design of connecting rods for high performance engines are strength, weight, stiffness, and durability. These factors must be carefully balanced to ensure optimal performance and reliability.

2. How do engineers determine the appropriate material for connecting rods in high performance engines?

Engineers use a combination of material testing, computer simulations, and real-world performance data to determine the appropriate material for connecting rods in high performance engines. Factors such as strength, weight, and cost are taken into consideration when selecting the material.

3. What role does the length of a connecting rod play in engine performance?

The length of a connecting rod affects the engine's stroke and compression ratio, which can impact performance. Longer connecting rods can increase torque and horsepower, while shorter rods can improve engine responsiveness.

4. How do multiple constraints impact the design of connecting rods for high performance engines?

Multiple constraints, such as weight, strength, and durability requirements, can make the design of connecting rods for high performance engines more challenging. Engineers must carefully balance these constraints to ensure optimal performance and reliability.

5. What are some common materials used for connecting rods in high performance engines?

Some common materials used for connecting rods in high performance engines include steel, titanium, and aluminum. Each material has its own unique properties and advantages, and the choice depends on the specific performance needs and constraints of the engine.