Calculating Mean Distance Traveled by Pi-Mesons at Speed v=0.3c

• Thread starter EIRE2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mesons Pi
In summary, calculating the mean distance traveled by Pi-Mesons at a speed of 0.3c involves using the Lorentz factor to account for time dilation and length contraction. This results in a longer distance traveled compared to a stationary observer, with the mean distance being dependent on the decay time of the Pi-Mesons and the speed at which they are moving.
EIRE2003
A beam of charged pi-mesons is traveling with a speed of v=0.3c.
The mean life of a pi-meson is 2.6 x 10^-8s. What is the mean distance traveled by a pi meson before it decays?

How do u do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand how to calculate time dilation?

- Warren

No :confused:

Have you not been paying attention in class or something?

- Warren

Im not in school i finished last yr. I am repeating cause our teacher was never into teach us the stuff. So I am trying to learn this stuff myself from the past examination papers. My leaving cert is in june.

Well, in special relativity theory, when an object is moving at velocity v with respect to a stationary observer, the object will appear to suffer a time dilation of

[tex]T = \frac{T_0}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

where [itex]T[/itex] is the time measured by the observer and [itex]T_0[/itex] is the time as measured in the rest frame of the pion.

In other words, the pion will seem to live longer when moving than it would when at rest by a factor of [itex]1/\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}[/itex].

Does this make sense?

- Warren

:confused: not really. I've seen this in hawkings book universe in a nutshell but never understood it.

I don't understand what T_o is?

Maybe if u cud actually do the sum and i will go through it and try to get my head around it. Then it won't be as confusing. I just need an example of how its done.

[itex]T_0[/itex] is the proper time, the time experienced by the pion itself. Plug in its lifetime here.

We don't generally just give answers to homework questions here. I've given you plenty to start with. Consider reading more here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html

- Warren

1. What is a pi-meson?

A pi-meson, also known as a pion, is a subatomic particle that is composed of a quark and an antiquark. It is part of the family of mesons, which are particles that are made up of a quark and an antiquark.

2. What does v=0.3c mean?

V=0.3c refers to the velocity of the pi-meson. In this case, the pi-meson is traveling at 0.3 times the speed of light, which is a very high speed.

3. Why is it important to calculate the mean distance traveled by pi-mesons?

Calculating the mean distance traveled by pi-mesons is important for understanding the behavior of these particles and their interactions with other particles. It can also provide valuable insights into the fundamental laws of physics and the nature of the universe.

4. How is the mean distance traveled by pi-mesons calculated?

The mean distance traveled by pi-mesons can be calculated using the formula d = vt, where d is the distance traveled, v is the velocity, and t is the time. In this case, the velocity is v=0.3c and the time can be determined from experimental data.

5. What factors can affect the mean distance traveled by pi-mesons?

The mean distance traveled by pi-mesons can be affected by various factors, such as their initial energy, the medium they are traveling through, and their interactions with other particles. The speed of the pi-meson and the duration of its travel can also impact the mean distance traveled.