Multimeter selection, what to look for?

In summary: in summary, the multimeter that vk6 recommends is a good fit for your needs, and you should adjust the current generator before connecting the laser diode to avoid damage.
sur4j
I am trying to build a laser diode driver circuit which which should give a required output of around 1.25v and 200-250mA, I have been having problems with this and want to start inspecting it with a multimeter. The only problem is, I don't have one and really don't know how to select the correct one for my application. The laser diode driver circuit I am working on is the following:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-22qdMZWVALM/UtsZbSFpTPI/AAAAAAAAB3g/DZEglREGiro/s1600/DRIVER FOR 250ma OUT.jpg

Please note, this also includes an NPN transistor within the application. I would also like to use this multimeter for analyzing future projects which include large stepper motors such as the Nema 23 (270 oz) stepper motor.

The multimeter that I have been looking at is the following:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VC99-6999-auto-range-multimeter-tester-Amp-C-Tcompared-FLUKE-analog-bar-UK-ship-/121074199075?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item1c3095aa23

Would this be "fit for purpose" for my requirements?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would save my money and buy a decent meter (Fluke) but the V99 should be OK.

Last edited:
A multimeter that isn't auto ranging is a lot easier to use.

Auto ranging meters can switch ranges very quickly and you have to keep checking to see if they have done this.

You can read 50 volts then 60 mV and think the voltage has increased.

To avoid this, you can lock the range on an auto range meter, but this gets annoying when you have to keep doing it.

Meters that let you leave the leads in the same sockets for most functions are more convenient than those where you have to move the leads for voltage and current.

Meters are available that give you extra functions, like capacitance, inductance, frequency, diode test and transistor gain testing. You may as well get any functions you might use in the future.

You can get meters with large numbers and tilting displays.

You can get meters that show the function being measured on the display along with the maximum value of that function.
That current generator is adjustable, so you should adjust it for minimum current before you connect the laser diode, by connecting the multimeter as a current meter across the output.

Then gradually increase the current while measuring the current with a multimeter in series with the input of the current regulator.
If you don't do this, you might damage the diode before you get the current adjusted.

In addition to vk6's always sound advice, there's this other practical consideration:

I use an el-cheapo meter like this for 99% of my work.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/14521542

and keep a nice digital Fluke with true RMS in safe storage under the bed for those rare occasions needing precision.

If you are just starting out, it might be wise to begin with a $10 meter which, when it gets blown up by accident, isn't a great loss.
One of these cheapies you can keep in the car trunk . They're quite handy for aiding stranded motorists.

I do believe that little $11 meter would do your job on the circuit you linked. It has a 2.5 volt scale that's handy for transistor circuits.
A word of caution though - on any meter, form the habit of starting on a high range and switching down.
And on meters that have current scales - never rotate the range switch through a current range while connected to a circuit. You cannot turn the switch fast enough to avoid blowing the internal fuse(which means a trip to the hardware store).

old jim

When selecting a multimeter for your specific application, there are a few key features to consider. First, make sure the multimeter has a current range that can measure the desired output of 200-250mA. The multimeter you have selected has a range of 500mA, which should be sufficient for your needs.

Additionally, it is important to consider the accuracy and resolution of the multimeter. For your specific application, it would be beneficial to have a multimeter with a high accuracy and resolution to ensure precise measurements of the output voltage and current.

Another important factor to consider is the safety features of the multimeter. Since you will be working with high currents, it is important to select a multimeter that has appropriate safety features such as overload protection.

The multimeter you have selected appears to have all of these features and should be suitable for your needs. However, it is always a good idea to read reviews and compare different models to ensure you are selecting the best option for your specific application.

In addition to your current project, it is also important to consider any future projects you may have in mind. If you plan on working with larger stepper motors, it may be beneficial to select a multimeter with a higher current range to accommodate for these future projects.

Overall, the multimeter you have selected seems to be a good fit for your current and potential future projects. Just be sure to carefully read the specifications and reviews to ensure it meets all of your requirements.

Related to Multimeter selection, what to look for?

1. What is the purpose of a multimeter?

A multimeter is a versatile tool used in electrical and electronic work to measure voltage, current, and resistance. It can also be used to test continuity, diodes, and capacitance.

2. What are the main types of multimeters?

The two main types of multimeters are analog and digital. Analog multimeters use a needle to display the readings, while digital multimeters have a digital LCD display.

3. What features should I look for when selecting a multimeter?

When selecting a multimeter, you should consider the measurement range, accuracy, resolution, and safety features. It is also important to choose a multimeter with the necessary functions for your specific needs, such as AC/DC voltage, current, resistance, and continuity testing.

4. Is a more expensive multimeter always better?

Not necessarily. While a higher-priced multimeter may have more advanced features and a wider measurement range, it is important to consider your specific needs and choose a multimeter that meets those requirements. A more expensive multimeter may also have additional features that you may not need, making it a wasteful expense.

5. How do I ensure the accuracy of my multimeter?

To ensure the accuracy of your multimeter, you should regularly calibrate it according to the manufacturer's instructions. It is also important to handle the multimeter carefully and avoid dropping it or exposing it to extreme temperatures, as this can affect its accuracy.

Back