Multiloop circuit: find equivalent resistance

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find equivalent resistance in a circuit and the Attempt at a Solution is trying to figure out how the electric current is distributed among the loops and make sure it is entering the system.
sonic91

Homework Statement

Find equivalent resistance in this circuit. (picture is in the attached files section)

Homework Equations

Series: Req=R1+ R2. . .

Parallel: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 . . .

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that the 2nd 2ohm resistor (the one that's pointed vertically) has 2 different currents going through it in opposite directions. I also think that the 2nd 2ohm resistor is in parallel with both the 3ohm and 4ohm resisistors. The first 2ohm resistor also seems to be parallel with the other three resistors. So if I redrew the circuit I would say that all 4 resistors ultimately all have a parallel relationship to each other, but I'm really not sure?

Attachments

• physics.pdf
    19.6 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
Use delta-star configuration conversion.

Hi sonic91! welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't think they are all in parallel. Also, the 2nd 2 ohm resistor cannot have two opposite currents passing through it. Nothing can...

Try assuming the current in the circuit to be I, and voltage of the battery V(make an imaginary battery circuit). See how the electric current is distributed among the loops and make sure if I current is entering the system, I current should finally go out. :wink:

Then use Kirchoff's Voltage Law for appropriate loops.

Or, use delta-star transformation.

sonic91 said:
So if I redrew the circuit I would say that all 4 resistors ultimately all have a parallel relationship to each other, but I'm really not sure?

No, they are not. Remember, both terminals of parallel resistors are common with the other one. You have a pair of resistors which both terminals common. Which ones?
Note, those terminals which are connected by a wire are considered "common".
Look at the picture. You can shrink the wire on the left and turn the first 2 ohm resistor downward.

ehild

Attachments

• equivres.JPG
    equivres.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 444
Thanks for the help I think I've got it down now.

Related to Multiloop circuit: find equivalent resistance

1. What is a multiloop circuit?

A multiloop circuit is an electrical circuit that contains multiple loops or paths for current to flow through. It typically consists of multiple resistors, capacitors, and/or inductors connected in various configurations.

2. Why is finding equivalent resistance important in multiloop circuits?

Finding the equivalent resistance in a multiloop circuit allows us to simplify the circuit and calculate the total current and voltage more easily. This can be especially useful in more complex circuits where there are many loops and components.

3. What is the formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a multiloop circuit?

The formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a multiloop circuit is Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. This formula is used for resistors connected in series. For resistors connected in parallel, the formula is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

4. What are some methods for finding equivalent resistance in a multiloop circuit?

There are several methods for finding equivalent resistance in a multiloop circuit, including using the series and parallel formulas, using Kirchhoff's laws, and using the delta-star or wye-delta transformations. Which method is most appropriate depends on the specific circuit and its components.

5. How can I check my calculations for equivalent resistance in a multiloop circuit?

One way to check your calculations is to redraw the circuit with the equivalent resistance and compare it to the original circuit. The total resistance in both circuits should be the same. You can also use a multimeter to measure the resistance in the circuit and compare it to your calculated value.