Multi-surface Frictional force

In summary: I'm not sure what the set-up is in the above diagrams. None of them match the diagram in post #1. In particular, none seem to involve two surfaces. Is that intentional?Or to put it another way, the two "angle is 90" diagrams do not agree.
kftheuidfnaks
Homework Statement
Does the force of friction on an object depend on the number of surfaces in contact with the object?
Relevant Equations
I attached an image describing my question.
Capture.JPG

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
kftheuidfnaks said:
Homework Statement: Does the force of friction on an object depend on the number of surfaces in contact with the object?
Homework Equations: I attached an image describing my question.

View attachment 253025
The safe way is to consider each surface separately, making sure to use only the normal force that applies on that surface in each case.
It gets awkward if the angle between the surfaces is less than 90 degrees, since the frictional force on one can interact with the normal force on the other, leading to indeterminate forces.

Edit: that last part wasn't quite right... I think the indeterminacy arises when it is static friction.

Last edited:
Likes kftheuidfnaks
haruspex said:
The safe way is to consider each surface separately, making sure to use only the normal force that applies on that surface in each case.
It gets awkward if the angle between the surfaces is less than 90 degrees, since the normal forces partly oppose each other, leading to indeterminate forces.
If the surfaces are of equal material, you essentially end up with twice the frictional force?

kftheuidfnaks said:
If the surfaces are of equal material, you essentially end up with twice the frictional force?
No, that's not what I wrote. Consider e.g. when the angle is opened to 180 degrees. It is now one surface, so not doubled.
Do the algebra. What is the normal force on each?

Likes kftheuidfnaks
haruspex said:
No, that's not what I wrote. Consider e.g. when the angle is opened to 180 degrees. It is now one surface, so not doubled.
Do the algebra. What is the normal force on each?
Am I thinking of your proposal wrong if I split the block in two, one left and one right of the center when its opened to 180 degrees?

Normal Force = (m/2)g*cos(Theta) + (m/2)g*cos(Theta)
N = mg*cos(Theta)

kftheuidfnaks said:
Am I thinking of your proposal wrong if I split the block in two, one left and one right of the center when its opened to 180 degrees?

Normal Force = (m/2)g*cos(Theta) + (m/2)g*cos(Theta)
N = mg*cos(Theta)
Unfortunately it is more complicated than that. The normal forces, by definition, act at right angles to the surfaces. So to find the contribution of each to supporting the weight you need to find the angles the surfaces make to the horizontal . This is a tricky bit of 3D geometry.

Untitled.png

Well I'm probably over-complicating this but I am trying to visualize the problem so I drew this.

Since each dimension has a contribution to the total Normal force, their magnitudes and directions need to get combined, right?

kftheuidfnaks said:
View attachment 253028
Well I'm probably over-complicating this but I am trying to visualize the problem so I drew this.

Since each dimension has a contribution to the total Normal force, their magnitudes and directions need to get combined, right?
I'm not sure what the set-up is in the above diagrams. None of them match the diagram in post #1. In particular, none seem to involve two surfaces. Is that intentional?
Or to put it another way, the two "angle is 90" diagrams do not agree.

In case my point is not clear, look at the diagram in post #1. The two surfaces are not at 45 degrees to the horizontal; they are at a steeper angle. What angle?

Related to Multi-surface Frictional force

1. What is multi-surface frictional force?

Multi-surface frictional force is the resistance force that occurs between two or more surfaces in contact when one surface moves or tries to move against the other.

2. How is multi-surface frictional force measured?

Multi-surface frictional force is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds, using a device called a dynamometer. The force required to overcome the friction between two surfaces is measured and used to calculate the frictional force.

3. What factors affect multi-surface frictional force?

The factors that affect multi-surface frictional force include the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants.

4. How does multi-surface frictional force affect motion?

Multi-surface frictional force can either help or hinder motion. In some cases, friction can provide necessary traction to allow an object to move. However, in other cases, friction can create resistance and slow down or prevent motion.

5. Can multi-surface frictional force be reduced or eliminated?

Multi-surface frictional force cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using lubricants, choosing smoother surfaces, or decreasing the force pressing the surfaces together. In some cases, friction can be beneficial and necessary for certain tasks, such as walking or driving.