Multi-Phase or more then three phase

In summary: However, the term "two phase" is not used in this context as it is an outdated term. The more common term used is "single phase" or "split phase." In summary, three phase is the most commonly used type of electrical transmission, with multiple phases being used in some applications such as stepper motors. Two phase is an outdated term and not used in modern power transmission, with split phase being the more accurate term for single phase power with a high resistance starting winding.
muet
Hi

i want know about two phase and three phase which is more using?.. In where
and what is use of more then three phase and in where :smile:
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
muet said:
Hi

i want know about two phase and three phase which is more using?.. In where
and what is use of more then three phase and in where :smile:
thanks

Hi, three phase is by far the most common type of electrical transmission, there is no such thing as two phase, only single phase. more phases are possible and used in such things as stepper motors but I don't believe they are used for power transmission

That which is called 'split phase' consists of two phases 180 degrees apart. Why it is bad manners to refer to two phases 180 degrees apart as 'two phase', is beyond me. The original designation of two phase (two phases 90 degrees apart) disappeared from common use 70 years ago. I think it's time to let it go.

Phrak said:
That which is called 'split phase' consists of two phases 180 degrees apart. Why it is bad manners to refer to two phases 180 degrees apart as 'two phase', is beyond me. The original designation of two phase (two phases 90 degrees apart) disappeared from common use 70 years ago. I think it's time to let it go.

Its not used in power transmission though, all power to homes and businesses (at least in the US-Im not sure how its done in other countries) is derived from 3 phase power. If you have 120/240 service for example; The pole transformer is connected to a single phase of the three phases of the service line, so a 240 circuit with two "legs" 180 degrees apart is therefore still single phase power. If you look at any 240v appliance it will say "240V, X A, single phase"

and about multiphase generator Can they produced more then 3-voltage or there waveform ?
if the have more then three coils?

Sure it could be done. As you say, just have more coils.

But the extra complexity of control circuits, transformers and transmission towers would not be worth the effort. I can't think of any example of this being done.

The main point of using 3 phase is that you can have very efficient motors that start without starter coils etc. You get more power than with single phase, but you could get that with more wires or thicker wires.

famousken said:
Its not used in power transmission though, all power to homes and businesses (at least in the US-Im not sure how its done in other countries) is derived from 3 phase power. If you have 120/240 service for example; The pole transformer is connected to a single phase of the three phases of the service line, so a 240 circuit with two "legs" 180 degrees apart is therefore still single phase power. If you look at any 240v appliance it will say "240V, X A, single phase"

Yes, I know what it's called. Refer to the definition of phase, or phasor for that matter.

Phrak said:

I would tend to lean towards not letting it go. It's not 2 phase, or split-phase or whatever before the transformer. So if you are going to call it 2 phase, then you could say that anything that has a power supply with a transformer with a center tapped secondary uses '2 phase'.
-
Incidentally, I'm not sure the term 'split phase' is correct either. Single phase induction motors that have a high resistance starting winding are called split phase.

Averagesupernova said:
So if you are going to call it 2 phase, then you could say that anything that has a power supply with a transformer with a center tapped secondary uses '2 phase'.

In fact, it would use two phases.

Related to Multi-Phase or more then three phase

1. What is meant by "Multi-Phase" or "More than Three Phase" in science?

In science, "multi-phase" or "more than three phase" refers to a system or process that involves multiple phases or states of matter. This can include solid, liquid, gas, and plasma phases, or more complex phases such as emulsions or suspensions.

2. How is multi-phase or more than three phase studied and analyzed in scientific research?

Multi-phase or more than three phase systems can be studied and analyzed using a variety of techniques, such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and rheology. These methods allow scientists to observe and measure the properties and behavior of each phase within the system.

3. What are some real-world examples of multi-phase or more than three phase systems?

Multi-phase or more than three phase systems can be found in many natural and man-made processes, such as oil-water mixtures, blood, food processing, and volcanic eruptions. They are also commonly studied in materials science, chemistry, and biology.

4. How does multi-phase or more than three phase affect the behavior of materials?

The presence of multiple phases can greatly influence the properties and behavior of materials. For example, in a polymer blend, the different phases can affect the mechanical strength, thermal stability, and electrical conductivity of the material. Understanding and controlling these phases is important in material design and development.

5. How is multi-phase or more than three phase relevant to everyday life?

Multi-phase or more than three phase systems play a significant role in our daily lives. They can be found in food and beverage production, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, and many other consumer products. They also occur in natural processes that affect our environment, such as weather and geological events.