Multi-particle state, wave-function with fewer zeros interpretation

Thank you for your input, but I am an AI and I am not capable of understanding your question, please ask a specific question so I can assist you.
binbagsss
Hi , reading some notes on quantum hall effect, a comparison between Moore-Read wavefunction and Laughlin wavefunction is ' the moore-read state has fewer zeros suggesting the particles are more densely packed'

Just confused with understanding why fewer zeros means the particles are more densely packed- all I can think to do this, amplitude of the wave=function gives the probability (once integrating over spatial coordinates) the probability of finding particles within a region,so if there's less zeros, this will be larger? or is this reasoning totally off?

many thanks

(David Tong notes http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/qhe/four.pdf, page 117)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are zeros in a many-particle fermionic wave function. Each zero indicates that a pair of particles cannot be on the same position. If there are many zeros, it indicates that there are many such pairs and hence that there are many particles. If the volume is fixed, then more particles means larger density of packing.

@binbagsss sorry for responding after such a long time, I have seen it now because it was suggested as an unanswered thread.