Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problem

• Thread starter adorfy
  • Start date
In summary: I meant that you can eliminate the tension between the equations for each component and solve separately for each component.
adorfy

Homework Statement

tfNDWB3.jpg

Box 1 of mass m1 is attached by a thin rope to box 2 of mass m2. Box 1 is pulled by force F. What is the acceleration of box 1 given:
m1= 3kg
m2= 2kg
V(initial)= 4m/s
F= 50N
Friction is present between boxes and floor
μ = 0.2
θ = 20 degrees
∅ = 35 degrees
gravity(g) = 9.8

And what value would F need to be so the velocity is constant at 4.0 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Fnet is going to be the x component of the force F minus the friction between box 1 and the ground and the x component of the tension on box 1 by box 2
Fnet = Fx-(Fμ+Ftx)
By plugging into equations I found
Fx = cos∅*F = 40.9576
Fy = sin∅*F = 28.6788
Fg = m*g = 29.4
N(normal) = Fg+ Fy+Fty=50.0788+Fty
Fμ = N*μ=μ(Fg+Fy+Fty)=0.2(50.0788+Fty)
Fnet =Fx-(Fμ+Ftx)=40.9576-(0.2(50.0788+Fty)+Ftx)
I just can't find Ft
I initially tried that Fty=m2gsinθ and Ftx=m2gcosθ bur this was marked wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
adorfy said:
And what value would F need to be so the velocity is constant at 4.0 m/s

You know that the velocity is constant, what does that tell you?...it tells that net force is 0...If you correctly balance the forces then you should be able to get the answer, using the above fact. Balance force on both the object (m1 and m2), making a free body diagram should simplify the things.

Last edited:
Yes, I know that much. But that's only for the second half of the problem. I still need the force block 2 pulls on block 1 (Ft, Ftx, Fty) to solve it, and to solve the original problem which is for the acceleration of box 1 given the force of 50 Newtons

You need to write Newton's second law for each block.
And then solve the coupled equations. You have two unknowns: acceleration and tension in the rope. You can eliminate the tension between the equations and solve for a.

adorfy said:
Yes, I know that much. But that's only for the second half of the problem. I still need the force block 2 pulls on block 1 (Ft, Ftx, Fty) to solve it, and to solve the original problem which is for the acceleration of box 1 given the force of 50 Newtons

just like nasu said, and I previously mentioned.

Balance force on both the object (m1 and m2), making a free body diagram should simplify the things.

You will have four equations and four unknowns:
Part A - 2 normal forces, tension and of course the required acceleration
Part B - 2 normal forces, tension and of course the required force F

It should be fairly easy to solve

-----------------------------

nasu said:
You need to write Newton's second law for each block.
And then solve the coupled equations. You have two unknowns: acceleration and tension in the rope. You can eliminate the tension between the equations and solve for a.
don't you think there are four unknowns?

Yes, you are right if you consider the components as separate equations. Which you should. Sorry for the vague formulation.

Related to Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problem

What is a Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problem?

A Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces and accelerations acting on multiple masses that are connected or interacting in some way.

What are some common examples of Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problems?

Some common examples of Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problems include situations involving pulleys and masses, objects connected by springs, and systems of objects connected by strings or ropes.

What is the difference between mass and weight in a Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problem?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on that object. In a Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problem, mass is used to calculate the forces and accelerations, while weight is used to calculate the gravitational force acting on an object.

How do I approach solving a Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problem?

The first step in solving a Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problem is to draw a free-body diagram that shows all the forces acting on each object in the system. Then, use Newton's second law (F=ma) to set up equations for each object and solve for the unknown variables.

What are some common challenges in solving Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problems?

Some common challenges in solving Multi-Mass Force/Acceleration problems include correctly identifying all the forces acting on each object, keeping track of the directions and signs of the forces, and setting up and solving the equations for all the objects in the system.