Producing Plutonium: A Nuclear Newbie's Questions

• Thread starter nuclear
  • Start date
In summary, plutonium is produced by irradiating U-238 with a neutron. It is difficult to do and requires a nuclear reactor.
nuclear
i m a newbie in nuclear field. i m just wondering how difficult plutonium is produced? is it that u just irradiate U-238 with a neutron and u will get a Pu-239? is there any constraint or technical difficulty for that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the difficulty is in that you have to do it inside a nuclear reactor. Then you have to separate out the Pu.

actually i was given a question that sound like this.

using a portable neutron generator which generates 14 MeV neutrons at 1 * 10^12 neutrons/second via the D-T fusion reaction, how long does it take to produce 20kg of Pu-239?

I am just wondering is that possible?

A major unknown in the problem you stated is how much U238 do you have and its geometry with respect to the neutron source. Also are there other materials present which could absorb some of the neutrons? To give you a start use Avogadros no. (approx 6x1023) to get the number of atoms in 238 grams of U238.

thank you mathman.

the quantity of U-238 is not given, i was only asked how long will it take to produce 20-kg of Pu-239. based on the equation

U-238 + n -> U-239 -> Np-239 -> Pu-239

i interpreted it as one mole of U-238 when irradiated by 1 neutron will produce one mole of Pu-239. And so, to produce 20kg of Pu-239 (5.04*10^25) u will need 5.04*10^25 of U-238. Is that thought correct here?

please help. thanks.

oops sorry, i forgot to mention just now.

i was asked to approach this problem based on the assumption that all neutron is absorbed in the fertile material. so i guess there should be no other material which will absorb the neutron.

of course i can be wrong. i m just a newbie.

I'm going to merge this thread with the identical one in homework help.

nuclear,

If you're going with the assumption that every neutron produced is involved in the reaction, then this problem is really just plug and chug.

You know how much Plutonium you need to produce, so with Avogadro's number and the mass, you can get the total number of neutrons required.

Once you have that number, you use the rate to determine the time it took to get them.

Does that help any?

1. What is plutonium and how is it produced?

Plutonium is a radioactive chemical element with the symbol Pu and atomic number 94. It is produced through the process of nuclear fission, where uranium atoms are bombarded with neutrons and split into smaller atoms, including plutonium.

2. Why is plutonium important?

Plutonium is important because it is a key element in the production of nuclear energy. It is also used in the production of nuclear weapons. In addition, it has potential applications in certain medical treatments and in space exploration.

3. What are the risks associated with producing plutonium?

The production of plutonium carries significant risks due to its highly radioactive nature. Exposure to plutonium can result in serious health effects, including cancer. There is also a risk of nuclear accidents during the production process, which can have catastrophic consequences.

4. How is the production of plutonium regulated?

The production of plutonium is heavily regulated by government agencies and international organizations. This includes strict safety protocols and regulations for handling, storing, and transporting plutonium. Regular inspections and monitoring are also conducted to ensure compliance and prevent any potential risks.

5. Can plutonium be safely disposed of?

Yes, plutonium can be safely disposed of through a process called vitrification, where it is mixed with molten glass and sealed in stainless steel canisters. These canisters are then stored in secure facilities deep underground. However, long-term storage and disposal of plutonium remains a challenging issue as it remains radioactive for thousands of years.