Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MS abroad

somz

Dec 10, 2013
If an applicant already has a Master's degree from another university, can the applicant apply to a MS program abroad?

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
If an applicant already has a Master's degree from another university, can the applicant apply to a MS program abroad?
Hi somz, :)

In my opinion the answer is yes. And there are many whom I know who have several masters degrees in multiple fields. Most of the application procedures and how they select the candidates varies from university to university, however I think having a masters degree is rather a good thing in applying for another masters. There are also situations which I know where a person having a masters degree applies for a Phd abroad and the university offers a masters, instead of directly selecting him/her for the Phd program. This probably happens due to the fact that the university thinks the candidate should have more prerequisites to start a Phd.

somz

Dec 10, 2013
actually the university from where i'll be getting my masters degree is not so recognized for my particular branch. mine is a specialized branch and my university is recognized for those core engineering branches. so i thought of going for another majors from abroad. since i am not at all interested for a phd rather i wanted to go for masters only for better job prospects to be frank ,i felt so bad when someone told me that i wont be eligible for a masters degree again. but u made my day ..seriously :p thanx a lot :)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
actually the university from where i'll be getting my masters degree is not so recognized for my particular branch. mine is a specialized branch and my university is recognized for those core engineering branches. so i thought of going for another majors from abroad. since i am not at all interested for a phd rather i wanted to go for masters only for better job prospects to be frank ,i felt so bad when someone told me that i wont be eligible for a masters degree again. but u made my day ..seriously :p thanx a lot :)
You are welcome. I don't think there is a rigid set of rules when defining eligibility for grad studies. I believe applications are assessed in a case by case basis. I also know a person who had his undergrad in engineering and then did his Phd in Economics. I believe that getting entered into a postgrad program even in a very different field to what you have done in undergrad is not impossible. :)

somz

Dec 10, 2013
thank you so much again :)

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012