The Mind as the Source of Reality: Exploring Subjectivity and Objectivity

In summary, the conversation in the Philosophy forum revolved around the role of the mind in our experiences and decision making. While some believed that the mind is the source of all things, others argued that it is the filter or creator of our subjective experiences. There was also discussion about the relationship between the mind and the soul. Various viewpoints were shared, but the conversation ended with a suggestion to read a thread about hurdles to a particular hypothesis.
ahrkron
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:)

We wouldn't be complete without this post in the Philosophy forum, would we?

Physics news on Phys.org
the mind is the filter for all that we experience subjectively...

(Briefly welcomes self)
I agree with Kerrie.
The mind is not the source of all things, but it is true that all of our conscious decisions come via the mind. It acts as the conduit from the interpretations of our perception, our memories and our instinct into actual action, not the beginning itself. Without input, the cpu of the mind is meaningless.

Boy, did you ever scare me, arkhron! I'll be posting the original posts from my "Hurdles" thread soon. I hope to get some responses.

Originally posted by ahrkron
:)

We wouldn't be complete without this post in the Philosophy forum, would we?

[?] I don't understand what you are saying exactly. Do you mean mind is the source of all for a human? You don't mean it's the sourse of the universe, for instance, do you?

Actually, I think ahrkron was making reference to lifegazer's hypothesis (that the Mind is the source of all things).

Yes, the brain is the organ of the mind. Therefore, would you consider the mind to be the soul or what?

Originally posted by MajinVegeta
Yes, the brain is the organ of the mind. Therefore, would you consider the mind to be the soul or what?

Are you asking about the Mind of lifegazer's hypothesis? Or are you asking about a human mind. If it is the latter, then the mind is not the soul, it is something that the center of consciousness (self, soul, however you'd like to refer to it) uses to control the brain, which - in turn - controls the rest of the body.

Originally posted by Kerrie
the mind is the filter for all that we experience subjectively...

I prefer to think the mind the is creator of everythign we experience. Everything is subjective and nothing is objective, this whole world could be a pigment of my imagination... and it annoys me how i can't seem to get it right.

Originally posted by Jikx
I prefer to think the mind the is creator of everythign we experience. Everything is subjective and nothing is objective, this whole world could be a pigment of my imagination... and it annoys me how i can't seem to get it right.

Please see my "Hurdles to Lifegazer's hypothesis" thread. Even if you don't agree with what I say, it will help you see my side of the issue (in that I believe that there is an objective reality, and that our minds make sense of external stimuli).

1. What is the source of all: the MIND?

The source of all: the MIND refers to the concept of the human mind and its role in shaping our thoughts, emotions, and actions. It is often associated with the idea of consciousness and the inner workings of the brain.

2. Is the MIND a physical or non-physical entity?

This is a debated topic in the field of science and philosophy. Some argue that the mind is purely a result of physical processes in the brain, while others believe in the existence of a non-physical, spiritual aspect of the mind.

3. How does the MIND affect our behavior?

The MIND plays a crucial role in shaping our behavior and decision-making processes. Our thoughts and emotions, which are products of the mind, greatly influence our actions and reactions to different situations.

4. Can the MIND be studied scientifically?

Yes, the MIND can be studied through various scientific disciplines such as psychology, neuroscience, and cognitive science. These fields use a combination of experimental methods, brain imaging techniques, and theoretical models to understand the workings of the mind.

5. Can the MIND be changed or controlled?

The MIND is a complex and dynamic entity, which can be influenced and changed through various factors such as experiences, learning, and external stimuli. With conscious effort and practice, individuals can also learn to control their thoughts and emotions through techniques such as meditation and cognitive-behavioral therapy.