Moving Reference Frames: One Car Passing Another

In summary, the conversation is about two cars traveling at different speeds on a straight highway and the acceleration of each car from the other car's reference frame. The equations given are not relevant to the problem. The correct answer is that both cars have an acceleration of 0 in any reference frame.
Kristenx2

Homework Statement

You are traveling in a car going at a constant speed of 100 km/hr down a long, straight highway. You pass another car going in the same direction which is traveling at a constant speed of 80 km/hr. As measured from your car’s reference frame this other car is traveling at -20 km/hr. What is the acceleration of your car as measured from the other car’s reference frame? What is the acceleration of the other car as measured from your car’s reference frame? Give an explanation to your answers.

Homework Equations

The only equation I personally have in my notes is at=aw or wt=wwt+ww. Note that I have no idea what these equations mean, I just scribbled them down as my professor flicked through the slides.

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that my vehicle would be accelerating at 20 km/hr2, and the other car would be accelerating at -20 km/hr2. Is this correct? I am not sure if I am doing anything right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that really the question? You are told that both cars are moving constant speed. While speed is "relative", acceleration is not! The acceleration of both cars is 0 in any reference frame.

Related to Moving Reference Frames: One Car Passing Another

1. What is a moving reference frame?

A moving reference frame is a system of coordinates used to describe the motion of an object relative to another object or observer that is also in motion. The reference frame moves along with the observer or object, allowing for a more accurate description of the motion.

2. How is a moving reference frame different from a stationary reference frame?

In a stationary reference frame, the observer or object is considered to be at rest and the motion of other objects is described relative to it. In a moving reference frame, the observer or object is also in motion, and the motion of other objects is described relative to it. This allows for a more complex and accurate description of motion.

3. What is an example of a moving reference frame?

An example of a moving reference frame is a car passing another car on a highway. The reference frame of the driver in the passing car is moving, while the reference frame of the driver in the other car is stationary. The motion of the passing car is described relative to the stationary car, and vice versa.

4. How does the concept of a moving reference frame apply to physics?

In physics, the concept of a moving reference frame is used to describe the motion of objects in a more accurate and comprehensive manner. It allows for the consideration of relative motion and can help explain phenomena such as the Doppler effect and the Coriolis effect.

5. What are the advantages of using a moving reference frame in scientific research?

Using a moving reference frame can provide a more complete and accurate understanding of complex motions and interactions between objects. It allows for the consideration of relative motion and can help predict the behavior of objects in real-world scenarios, making it a valuable tool in scientific research and analysis.