Moving Proton in an Electric Field

In summary: Coulombs) to get the work done on the proton (in Joules).In summary, the force on the proton can be calculated using the formula qσ/(2ε₀), where q is the elementary charge and σ is the uniform charge density of the plate. The work done on the proton to bring it to rest can be calculated by multiplying its kinetic energy in eV by the fundamental charge of 1.6*10^-19 Coulombs. The eV unit is a measure of energy, not voltage, and is convenient for these types of problems as it directly relates to the potential difference (volts) the unit charge
Fred91
A) A proton with kinetic energy of 4.95 × 106 eV is fired perpendicular to the face of a large plate that has a uniform charge density of σ = +8.10 μC/m2. What is the magnitude of the force on the proton?

B) How much work must the electric field do on the proton to bring it to rest?

E = σ/epsilon
V=K*q/r
F= E*q
V= -E*r
W=q*v

When I started making this thread I didn't understand how to do any of this, then while putting everything together I figured out how to do all of it, but I still have questions about the concepts. Particularly part B. I mostly understand part A.

Part A) Since an elementary charge is 1.6*10^-19 I used this charge to figure out the magnitude of the force. Apparently somehow guass's law comes into play for part A making the formula needed become qσ/(2epsilon) If someone could explain to me why this is so I would appreciate it, when I did it without looking seeking help I only made the equation qσ/(epsilon).

Part B) I'm very confused about this method. I thought maybe if I took eV/q that would give me delta(V) which = delta(U)/q so eV=work, but apparently you can use work = q*voltage where the voltage is *already* measured in eV? If someone could explain to me I would appreciate it since the formula isn't in my book and I can't seem to find anywhere to derive it. Closest I can find is delta(v)=delta(U)/q where U is the Electric potential difference. This is the part of this problem I need explained. My book says q*delta(V) gives you eV. But yet to get the answer for this problem I did q*V, where V= 4.95*10^6eV and q = eV measured as 1.6*10^-19 J

So essentially I multiplied the energy given in eV by eV to get the work (which my book leads me to believe is actually how you change a value into eV)? Maybe I'm misunderstanding my book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fred91 said:
Part A) Since an elementary charge is 1.6*10^-19 I used this charge to figure out the magnitude of the force. Apparently somehow guass's law comes into play for part A making the formula needed become qσ/(2epsilon) If someone could explain to me why this is so I would appreciate it, when I did it without looking seeking help I only made the equation qσ/(epsilon).
Post your reasoning for your Gauss' Law derivation for the electric field near the plate.

Part B) I'm very confused about this method. I thought maybe if I took eV/q that would give me delta(V) which = delta(U)/q so eV=work, but apparently you can use work = q*voltage where the voltage is *already* measured in eV? If someone could explain to me I would appreciate it since the formula isn't in my book and I can't seem to find anywhere to derive it. Closest I can find is delta(v)=delta(U)/q where U is the Electric potential difference. This is the part of this problem I need explained. My book says q*delta(V) gives you eV. But yet to get the answer for this problem I did q*V, where V= 4.95*10^6eV and q = eV measured as 1.6*10^-19 J

So essentially I multiplied the energy given in eV by eV to get the work (which my book leads me to believe is actually how you change a value into eV)? Maybe I'm misunderstanding my book.

Voltage is not measured in eV. Voltage is measured in, well, Volts, which in turn can be expressed as Joules per Coulomb.

The eV is a unit of energy. It's the KE that would result from an electron (with unit fundamental charge 1.6*10^-19 Coulombs) falling through a potential difference of 1 volt (1 Joule per Coulomb). So you end up with the eV being 1.6*10^-19 Joules.

So when the problem gives you the kinetic energy of the proton in eV, it's not giving you a voltage but rather the energy in convenient units. The eV units are convenient for these types of problems because it immediately tells you what size of potential difference (volts) the unit charge must fall through in order to achieve a change in energy of the same size.

The electric potential difference in a uniform electric field (like the plate is providing) is simply the field magnitude multiplied by the change in distance parallel to the field lines.

In order to bring to rest a body with kinetic energy KE, an amount of work equal to that KE must be done on the body. You're given the KE of the proton in eV units...

Related to Moving Proton in an Electric Field

1. How does an electric field affect a moving proton?

An electric field will exert a force on a moving proton, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field. This acceleration can either increase or decrease the proton's speed depending on the direction of the field relative to the proton's initial velocity.

2. What is the relationship between the strength of the electric field and the acceleration of a moving proton?

The acceleration of a moving proton is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that a stronger electric field will cause a greater change in the proton's velocity, resulting in a larger acceleration.

3. How does the direction of the electric field affect the trajectory of a moving proton?

If the electric field is in the same direction as the proton's initial velocity, it will accelerate the proton in the same direction, causing it to speed up. On the other hand, if the electric field is in the opposite direction, it will decelerate the proton, causing it to slow down.

4. Can a moving proton change direction in an electric field?

Yes, a moving proton can change direction in an electric field if the field is not parallel to its initial velocity. This change in direction will be accompanied by a change in speed, resulting in a curved trajectory.

5. How does the mass of a proton affect its acceleration in an electric field?

The mass of a proton has no effect on its acceleration in an electric field. This is because the electric force acting on the proton is proportional to its charge, not its mass. Therefore, all protons will experience the same acceleration in a given electric field, regardless of their mass.