Motorized Stages for the smallest incremental movement possible?

• Thread starter xandervolt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, for a project requiring precise laser aiming at a detector 100m away, suggestions for motorized stages with the smallest increments possible are requested. The package should be compact, no larger than a bread box, and controlled by an auto alignment software using either a raspberry pi or a micro form factor PC. Some possible options include a computerized telescope mount, a positioner using ultrasonic motors, or a differential screw system.
xandervolt
TL;DR Summary
Any suggestions for motorized stages with the smallest increments possible?
I've got a project where I need to move a laser into a detector about 100m away and need to find some motorized stages with the smallest possible incremental movements. The whole package will need to be pretty small, probably no bigger than the size of a bread box. The motorized stages will be controlled by an auto alignment software, not sure what the controller will be, either raspberry pi or a micro form factor PC. Any suggestions for which motorized stages I should use? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
xandervolt said:
Summary: Any suggestions for motorized stages with the smallest increments possible?

I've got a project where I need to move a laser into a detector about 100m away and need to find some motorized stages with the smallest possible incremental movements. The whole package will need to be pretty small, probably no bigger than the size of a bread box. The motorized stages will be controlled by an auto alignment software, not sure what the controller will be, either raspberry pi or a micro form factor PC. Any suggestions for which motorized stages I should use? Thanks
By "stage" you mean platform? For a DIY laser aiming system, I'd start with a computerized telescope mount. They give pointing precision measured in arcseconds.

Likes berkeman
have you taken into account the fact tha tthe laser dot will grow the farther way the target is?
When i was selling alignment lasrs for machine tools, the laser dot at 1 foot was 0.125" and grew to 3/8 inch at 100 feet. What does your laser do regarding this ?

Welcome to the PF. :smile:
xandervolt said:
I've got a project where I need to move a laser into a detector about 100m away and need to find some motorized stages with the smallest possible incremental movements.
Wow, I had trouble parsing what you just said. I pictured a 100m long track that you wanted to move your laser along to move it into a detector at the far end.

I realize now that you meant "aim a laser at a detector", not "move a laser into a detector". Whew!

I like the idea by @russ_watters about using a motorized telescope mount.

Related to Motorized Stages for the smallest incremental movement possible?

1. What is a motorized stage?

A motorized stage is a precision mechanical device used in scientific and industrial applications to move objects with high accuracy and repeatability. It typically consists of a motor, linear or rotary actuator, and a control system.

2. What are the advantages of using motorized stages for small incremental movements?

The main advantage of using motorized stages for small incremental movements is their high precision and repeatability. They can achieve movements as small as nanometers, making them ideal for tasks that require precise positioning, such as microscopy, spectroscopy, and semiconductor manufacturing.

3. How do motorized stages achieve such small movements?

Motorized stages use various types of actuators, such as piezoelectric, stepper, or servo motors, to achieve small movements. These motors are controlled by a feedback system that monitors and adjusts the position of the stage, allowing for precise and accurate movements.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a motorized stage for small incremental movements?

When selecting a motorized stage for small incremental movements, factors such as resolution, accuracy, speed, load capacity, and compatibility with other equipment should be considered. It is also essential to choose a stage that meets the specific requirements of the application.

5. Are there any limitations to using motorized stages for small incremental movements?

While motorized stages offer high precision and repeatability, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for applications that require very high speeds or large movements. Additionally, they can be more expensive and complex compared to manual stages, so their use should be justified by the application's requirements.