Motorcycle Wheels: Calculating Horizontal Acceleration for Front Wheel Lift Off

In summary, the question asks what horizontal acceleration of a motorcycle will cause the front wheel to lift off the ground. The given information includes the distance between the centers of the wheels, the center of mass of the motorcycle and rider, and the fact that the rear wheel is the only one driven by the engine. The solution involves calculating the torque on the front wheel and using that to find the horizontal acceleration of the motorcycle.
pradeepk

Homework Statement

The distance between the centers of the wheels of a motorcycle is 155 cm. The center of mass of the
motorcycle, including the rider is 88 cm above the ground and halfway between the wheels. Assume that the mass of
the wheels is small compared to the body of the motorcycle. The engine drives only the rear wheel. What horizontal
acceleration of the motorcycle will cause the front wheel to rise off of the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to begin this problem. I'm trying to grasp the concept but I am not too sure. So the back wheel of the motorcycle causes a torque on the front wheel which causes it to rotate? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
pradeepk said:

Homework Statement

The distance between the centers of the wheels of a motorcycle is 155 cm. The center of mass of the
motorcycle, including the rider is 88 cm above the ground and halfway between the wheels. Assume that the mass of
the wheels is small compared to the body of the motorcycle. The engine drives only the rear wheel. What horizontal
acceleration of the motorcycle will cause the front wheel to rise off of the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to begin this problem. I'm trying to grasp the concept but I am not too sure. So the back wheel of the motorcycle causes a torque on the front wheel which causes it to rotate? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Fun problem! (Note my avatar...)

Draw a FBD of the motorcycle, showing the rigid body consisting of the back wheel and the CM of the bike. The torque to balance the CM will cause some angular acceleration of the rear wheel, which will cause some horizontal acceleration of the bike.

My first instinct is that the radius of the rear wheel should enter into the calculations, but maybe it cancels out...

Please show your work...

Related to Motorcycle Wheels: Calculating Horizontal Acceleration for Front Wheel Lift Off

1. What is the purpose of calculating horizontal acceleration for front wheel lift off?

Calculating horizontal acceleration for front wheel lift off is important for understanding the stability and maneuverability of a motorcycle. It helps determine the forces acting on the front wheel and how they affect the bike's ability to stay balanced and turn smoothly.

2. What factors contribute to front wheel lift off?

Front wheel lift off can be caused by several factors, including the rider's weight distribution, the motorcycle's center of gravity, the speed and angle of the turn, and the condition of the road surface. These factors influence the horizontal acceleration of the front wheel and can lead to lift off if not properly managed.

3. How is horizontal acceleration calculated for front wheel lift off?

To calculate horizontal acceleration for front wheel lift off, you will need to know the mass of the motorcycle, the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road, and the radius of the turn. You can then use the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the horizontal acceleration, v is the speed, and r is the radius of the turn.

4. What is the maximum horizontal acceleration before front wheel lift off?

The maximum horizontal acceleration before front wheel lift off varies depending on the factors mentioned in question 2. Generally, it is recommended to keep the horizontal acceleration below 0.5g (or 4.9 m/s^2) to avoid lift off. However, this can change based on the specific motorcycle and rider, so it is important to always practice safe riding techniques and pay attention to your bike's handling.

5. How can I prevent front wheel lift off?

To prevent front wheel lift off, it is important to maintain proper weight distribution, especially during turns. This means leaning into the turn and keeping your body and arms relaxed. It is also important to maintain a safe speed and be aware of the road conditions. Regularly checking and maintaining your tires can also help prevent lift off. Ultimately, it is important to practice safe riding techniques and be aware of your bike's handling to prevent front wheel lift off.