Motor rotation direction in DC

In summary, reversing the voltage to a DC motor does not actually reverse its rotation. You would need to reverse the rotor current or the field current, but not both together.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Kind of a silly question, maybe, but just confirming... If I want the motor at S1 to rotate to one side, and at S2 to rotate to the other side... I just do that?

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4167/motorfp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that will reverse the direction of rotor current. :smile:

Ahh...too easy! Thanks.

DC machines have some really nice characteristics, this being one of them. Easy speed control is another. They have some no-so-nice characteristics, like carbon brushes that wear and commutators that spark, but it is all a trade off.

OldEngr63 said:
DC machines have some really nice characteristics, this being one of them. Easy speed control is another. They have some no-so-nice characteristics, like carbon brushes that wear and commutators that spark, but it is all a trade off.
The one I like most of all is the BIG starting torque!

OldEngr63, you might be able to answer something that I glossed over in my brief answer here. Notice I said reverse the rotor current. With the typical DC motor having field and rotor in series, I'm wondering if we reverse the polarity of both together will the rotor spin not reverse?

To change the direction of rotation, we need to change the direction of the rotor current while holding the field direction constant. If the rotor and field are in series, then reversing the external terminals should have no effect on the direction of rotation.

Femme_physics said:
Kind of a silly question, maybe, but just confirming... If I want the motor at S1 to rotate to one side, and at S2 to rotate to the other side... I just do that?

Practical example: I have a 1/2"-drive, electric drill. The reversing switch recently broke. I wired an external DPDT switch in a small box, that accomplishes exactly what you have indicated.
Yay it works again. Wooo hoo.
happy0064.gif

On my first read of this question I wondered whether it originated with a trick question. We are all told how reversing the voltage to a DC motor reverses its rotation. Except it doesn't— not unless the motor has permanent magnets for the field. Otherwise, one must reverse the rotor current, or the field current, but not both together. https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon6.gif

Pondering this further: I guess it would be feasible, especially with the lower current of a shunt field, to include a bridge rectifier inside the motor to maintain the direction of the field current even when the motor's terminal voltage is reversed. So then we really would have a DC motor whose rotation reversed when the terminal voltage was reversed! https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Motor rotation direction in DC

1. How does the direction of rotation in a DC motor affect its performance?

The direction of rotation in a DC motor does not typically affect its performance. However, in certain situations, such as when the motor is used to drive a specific mechanism, the direction of rotation may need to be reversed to ensure proper functionality.

2. Can the direction of rotation in a DC motor be changed?

Yes, the direction of rotation in a DC motor can be changed by simply reversing the polarity of the power supply. This can be done by either swapping the positive and negative leads or using a switch to change the direction.

3. What causes a DC motor to rotate in a specific direction?

A DC motor rotates in a specific direction due to the interaction between the magnetic field of the stator and the magnetic field of the rotor. The direction of the current flowing through the motor also plays a role in determining the direction of rotation.

4. How can I determine the direction of rotation in a DC motor?

The direction of rotation in a DC motor can be determined by looking at the orientation of the stator and rotor. In most cases, the motor will rotate in the direction of the current flow. If the stator is stationary, the rotor will rotate in the same direction as the current flow.

5. Can the direction of rotation in a DC motor be controlled?

Yes, the direction of rotation in a DC motor can be controlled by using a controller or by changing the polarity of the power supply. This allows for greater flexibility in motor applications, as the direction of rotation can be adjusted as needed.