Motivated, but have no idea where to start

In summary, the conversation revolves around a college student's regret for not pursuing math in high school and their desire to take a calculus class now. They have received advice to use online resources and get help from others, and have decided to also take logic courses for their major. The conversation also touches upon the importance of math in various fields and the concept of overcoming fears and challenges.
Desi_M
Hi,

I am not a math person. I am terrible at math and have made it to college feeling like I have missed out on something great. Not only have I made it to college, but I am what liberal arts students consider "retired from math". I have completed the math credit I need to fulfill my major, but I feel incomplete. I didn't take pre-calculus or calculus in high school, I took the three years I had to and called it quits until college. Now I have made it through the liberal arts math class at my university and feel a sense of true regret. I am in my second semester of college and I'm not satisfied. Math is something I've been putting off since I was young, I never faced it because I thought I'd be able to meet my goals with the minimum. "I want to be an attorney, not an engineer..." that was my excuse. I could just keep going and not look back, but I feel like I have deprived myself of something I never even gave a chance. I am filled with true regret. That's why I signed up for an account on this forum. I want to take a calculus class. I am embarrassed to say that I can't even sign up for a calculus class. I have to take the pre-requisite for the calculus class, and before I can take the pre-requisite, I have to take a test called the ALEKS. I don't know where to start. I want to try to prepare for the test on my own and need advice for getting off the ground. What are some ways I can study independently? What are some websites or methods that would help? I need someone to point me in the right direction because I am really very lost.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I applaud your willingness to fill in a "hole" in your education. Bear in mind, what you are attempting will take time and effort and will not happen overnight, I would suggest the following:

(1) Find a good online site with a structured set of math lessons. A good one is http://www.math.com , but there are others. Then work through these lessons methodically one-by-one. Make sure and do the homework problems.

(2) Find someone you know that understands math that can help you when you get stuck (and you will get stuck.

(3) Keep at it and don't get discouraged. Don't hesitate to come back here for help. There are lots of people here who can help you.

Good luck!

I too applaud your determination to enlight yourself. What you've said about your liberal arts education so far makes me think of John Allen Paulos's book, "Innumeracy," or mathematical illiteracy. (To be clear, I'm not referring to you, but to the system you've been educated in.) One comparison Paulos makes is that you can't be considered an intellectual if you are illiterate, but you can still be considered an intellectual even if your mathematical abilities don't go much beyond arithmetic.

In addition to the link phyzguy gave, I've heard good a lot of good things about Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org.

Thanks to you both for the help. I bookmarked both websites. The book Innumeracy looks interesting, thanks for bringing it up. I'm going to look for it at a local bookstore.

Math is much deeper than Calculus.

As someone who's interested in law, formal logic and logical fallacies might be more useful to you. Google Monty Hall problem for a very good case where the intuition of even PhDs fails the vast, vast majority of the time over a very simple question of probability.

An update on this post, I communicated with my advisors and they said my interest to pursue math a bit more in my studies is a great idea. I'm using some of my electives to take some more math based classes :) I am taking it step by step, starting with the classes available to me over the summer at the community college in my home city.

I second Tac-Tics' advice. Logic would be an excellent choice for an aspiring attorney, and is an exceedingly deep and beautiful subject.

I'm taking a logic course for my major (philosophy). Thanks for the advice, I know that logic is important for the LSAT.

Please read G. Lakoff, A. Nunez "Where Mathematics Come From". Then, you will get the essence of the basic metaphors used by great mathematicians. It is a critical study of the current educational system and good start for the numbering systems. A little bit dry in the first chapters though, but it will surely pay off.

hey...
itz allways great to overcome our own fears....m sure u will enjoy the fruit afterwards.
allways b confident regarding what u know n accept what u don't know as something to b learned...
even Einstein did face problems in maths ...when he did not give up then no one should!
ALL THE BEST!:-)

Related to Motivated, but have no idea where to start

1. How do I find motivation when I have no idea where to start?

Finding motivation can be challenging, especially when you are unsure of where to begin. Start by setting small, achievable goals and celebrating your progress. It can also help to break down the larger goal into smaller, more manageable tasks. Additionally, try to find inspiration from others or remind yourself of the end goal and why it is important to you.

2. What if I have multiple projects or tasks but don't know which one to start with?

Prioritizing tasks can be overwhelming, but it is important to assess which ones are most urgent or have the closest deadline. If all tasks have equal importance, consider starting with the one that you are most interested in or passionate about. Another approach is to start with the easiest or quickest task, which can help build momentum and motivation.

3. How can I stay motivated throughout the entire project?

Staying motivated can be challenging, especially when a project takes a long time to complete. One strategy is to set smaller goals and celebrate each milestone. It can also be helpful to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work. Additionally, remind yourself of the end goal and the impact it will have. Surrounding yourself with supportive and motivating people can also help.

4. What if I don't know where to find resources or information for my project?

Researching and gathering information is an essential part of any project. If you are unsure of where to start, try using search engines, online databases, or reaching out to experts in the field. It can also be beneficial to network with other professionals or attend conferences to learn about new resources and information.

5. How can I overcome the fear of failure when starting a new project?

Fear of failure can be a significant barrier to starting a new project. It is essential to remember that failure is a natural part of the learning process and can lead to growth and improvement. Instead of focusing on potential failure, try to shift your mindset to view it as a learning opportunity. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of past successes and the skills and knowledge you have gained that will contribute to your current project.