Motion vs Time: Does Time Affect Motion?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between space and time, with one person suggesting that motion affects time, and the other stating that this is not the case. They also mention the concept of energy and matter in relation to time, but it is unclear how they are connected. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read a book on spacetime physics.
Fernando Freire
Why Space/TIME? I feel Motion affects Time, not the contrary. Thanks for claritication (no Math please).

Physics news on Phys.org
Fernando Freire said:
Why Space/TIME?

This question is much too vague to answer.

Fernando Freire said:
I feel Motion affects Time, not the contrary.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Likes russ_watters
Fernando Freire said:
Why Space/TIME?
It's just spacetime, or space-time if you prefer. Because space and time being parts of a united whole is an interpretation of the mathematics following from Einstein's postulates. Further testable implications of the postulates have been thoroughly tested and match experiment every time.
Fernando Freire said:
I feel Motion affects Time, not the contrary.
Feel whatever you like. Science deals in assumptions (as few as possible), the logical implications thereof, and whether or not those implications match experiment. Relativity is outstandingly successful in that regard.

PeterDonis said:
This question is much too vague to answer.
I don't understand what you mean by this.
Thank you. Sorry.

Fernando Freire said:
Why Space/TIME? I feel Motion affects Time, not the contrary. Thanks for claritication (no Math please).
Neglecting the completely irrelevant feeling, the equation velocity=distance/time does not imply any cause and effect relationship whatsoever. It says only that they are equal, not that one caused the other.

That said, I think it is pretty obvious that motion does not cause time, but it seems to be an idea that has a lot of appeal to some people for reasons that I don’t understand.

Likes russ_watters and PeroK
Dale said:
Neglecting the completely irrelevant feeling, the equation velocity=distance/time does not imply any cause and effect relationship whatsoever. It says only that they are equal, not that one caused the other.

That said, I think it is pretty obvious that motion does not cause time, but it seems to be an idea that has a lot of appeal to some people for reasons that I don’t understand.

Correct me if I am wrong: Time only occurs when Energy is Matter. And motion seems to affect it since it stops at C as far as I know.

Fernando Freire said:
Time only occurs when Energy is Matter.

This does not make any sense. Sorry, but if you think that that's in the box, then you are simply wrong.

In physics time is what a clock measures. Energy is a property of matter and there are many other properties that are important. Start with that.

Last edited:
Fernando Freire said:
Correct me if I am wrong: Time only occurs when Energy is Matter. And motion seems to affect it since it stops at C as far as I know.
This isn't even wrong. It's just words flung together without regard to their meaning. The only place to start on correcting it is from the beginning - I recommend Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
Fernando Freire said:
Time only occurs when Energy is Matter.
What experiment could you perform to determine if this is correct?

Ibix said:
This isn't even wrong. It's just words flung together without regard to their meaning.
The first part, yes -- the second part is just the typical first-reaction misunderstanding of SR time dilation.

Likes Ibix
russ_watters said:
the second part is just the typical first-reaction misunderstanding of SR time dilation.
Maybe. Depends on whether you read the second "it" as meaning time (in which case the sentence is wrong) or motion (in which case it's word salad). Your interpretation is more sympathetic and probably makes more sense grammatically - in which case the first sentence is not even wrong and the second sentence is just wrong. Taylor and Wheeler remains my recommendation.

Likes russ_watters

Related to Motion vs Time: Does Time Affect Motion?

1. How does time affect motion?

Time does not directly affect motion. Motion is determined by the speed and direction of an object, while time is a measurement of the duration of an event. However, the perception of motion may be affected by the passage of time.

2. Is there a relationship between time and speed?

Yes, time and speed have an inverse relationship. This means that as the speed of an object increases, the time it takes to cover a certain distance decreases. This relationship is described by the equation Speed = Distance / Time.

3. Can time be used as a unit of measurement for motion?

No, time is not a unit of measurement for motion. Motion is typically measured in distance or displacement over time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

4. Does time dilation affect motion?

Yes, time dilation can affect the perception of motion. Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects in motion compared to stationary objects. This is due to the effects of special relativity, and it has been observed and confirmed through experiments.

5. Can time impact the trajectory of an object?

No, time does not have a direct impact on the trajectory of an object. The trajectory is determined by the initial velocity and acceleration of the object, as well as external forces acting upon it. However, the duration of a trajectory may be affected by time, as it is a measure of the duration of motion.