Motion under repulsive electrostatic force

In summary, the two particles follow a hyperbola when they have a repulsive electrostatic force. The DE's are the same as for the attractive force, but with a different sign for qq'. The full derivation is in advanced mechanics books (like Goldstein), in connection with the classical derivation of the "Rutherford Scattering" cross section.
lark
Is there a simple curve that 2 particles follow when there's a repulsive electrostatic force - like there is for gravitational forces?

I don't know how to solve the differential equation that you get for the
motion.

Laura

Physics news on Phys.org
When two particles have the same polarity (either both are + charged or - charged), they repel (rather than attract if charges are opposite) each other. The force is proportional to the inverse of the square of the distance (similar to the gravitational force law), and is described by Coulomb's law.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elefor.html

Using F = ma = m[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex], where x is relative to some reference point, e.g. the distance from one charge to the midpoint between the charges, which is then half of the distance between the charges. So there must be an equation of motion for each charge, for which the force is common, and which varies according to the separation of the charges.

If the charges have different masses, then they will have different accelerations, but the force one is the same as the other, even if the charges are of different magnitude.

lark said:
Is there a simple curve that 2 particles follow when there's a repulsive electrostatic force - like there is for gravitational forces?

I don't know how to solve the differential equation that you get for the
motion.

Laura
In the cm system, each particle follows a hyperbola.
The DE's are the same as for attractive force (like gravity), but with a different sign for qq'. The full derivation is in advanced mechanics books (like Goldstein), in connection with the classical derivation of the "Rutherford Scattering" cross section.

Meir Achuz said:
In the cm system, each particle follows a hyperbola.
The DE's are the same as for attractive force (like gravity), but with a different sign for qq'. The full derivation is in advanced mechanics books (like Goldstein), in connection with the classical derivation of the "Rutherford Scattering" cross section.
Yes, if one particle is fixed in place, it's at a focus of the other
particle's hyperbola! At the other focus than the one it would be at if the force were attractive.

But I don't know what the time parameterization looks like, though I separated the variables to get an integral for time as a function of distance.

Laura

lark said:
Yes, if one particle is fixed in place, it's at a focus of the other
particle's hyperbola! At the other focus than the one it would be at if the force were attractive.

But I don't know what the time parameterization looks like, though I separated the variables to get an integral for time as a function of distance.

Laura
If neither particle is fixed, you can use center of mass variables.
I suggest you look into Goldstein for more detail.

Related to Motion under repulsive electrostatic force

1. What is motion under repulsive electrostatic force?

Motion under repulsive electrostatic force is the movement of an object due to the repulsive force between two or more charged particles. This force is caused by the interaction of electric fields between the charged particles, pushing them away from each other.

2. What factors affect the motion under repulsive electrostatic force?

The motion under repulsive electrostatic force is affected by the strength and polarity of the charges involved, as well as the distance between the charged particles. The force decreases as the distance between the particles increases.

3. How is the direction of motion determined under repulsive electrostatic force?

The direction of motion is determined by the direction of the electric field between the charged particles. Objects with opposite charges will move towards each other, while objects with the same charge will move away from each other.

4. What type of motion does an object experience under repulsive electrostatic force?

An object under repulsive electrostatic force will experience accelerated motion, as the force acting on it is constantly changing its velocity. This means the object's speed and/or direction will be constantly changing.

5. How can motion under repulsive electrostatic force be applied in real life?

Motion under repulsive electrostatic force is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used in various technologies such as generators, motors, and particle accelerators. It is also a crucial component in understanding the behavior of charged particles in fields, such as in plasma physics and astrophysics.