What is the Definition of Cancellation Law in Mathworld?

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of effective communication and the impact it has on individuals and relationships. It also touches on the importance of listening and understanding others' perspectives. Additionally, the conversation highlights the different types of communication and the role they play in various situations.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
in mathworld the definition of this is:"If bc=bd(mod a) and (b,a)=1 (i.e., a and b are relatively prime), then c=d (mod a)".

now let's see if i understand it relatively primes are "Two integers are relatively prime if they share no common positive factors (divisors) except 1" now let's say for the case of (3,2) or any other case we should translate it to b and a therefore (a+1,a)now let's put it the first formula like this:
(a+1)c-d(a+1)/a
(a+1)*(c-d)/a
now from this how can i get c-d/a or c=d (mod a)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Why are you dividing things by a?

Anyways, the key is to use one of the properties of gcds:

For any integers a and b:
if gcd(m, n) = d then there exist integers u and v such that:
d = um + vn

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Why are you dividing things by a?

Anyways, the key is to use one of the properties of gcds:

For any integers a and b:
if gcd(m, n) = d then there exist integers u and v such that:
d = um + vn
im dividing by a because the definition of c=d (mod a) is (c-d)/a integer.

now a few questions:
1. how is this known thing about gcd gives the explanation to the c. law?
2. how did you derive to the equation d=um+vn?
i can see that m/d+n/d=m+n/d and that for m=-n(mod d) m-(-n)>=d
m+n>=d.

You really should state completely what you mean then. e.g.

(a+1)*(c-d)/a is an integer

or, if you prefer,

a | (a+1)*(c-d)

Anyways, you know that gcd(b, a) = 1. From this, we can conclude there are u and v such that:

bu + av = 1

Or

(bu = 1) mod a

This u is the mod a multiplicative inverse of b. Once you know b is invertible, the rest of the proof looks just like what you'd do in ordinary arithmetic.

As to the proof of this gcd property, I'll leave it as a series of exercises.

Given integers m and n not both zero, define
S = {um + vn | u and v are integers and ua + vb > 0}
and let d be the minimum value in S.

Step 1:
Prove that if p and q are elements of S, then for any integers x and y, xp + yq is an element of S if it is positive.

Step 2:
Prove that d divides every element of S.
(Hint: use the division algorithm, step 1, and the fact that d is the minimum value in s)

Step 3:
Prove that |m| and |n| are elements of S. This implies that d divides m and d divides n.

Step 4:
Prove that if c is any common divisor of m and n, then c divides d.

Conclude that d defined in this way is the greatest common divisor of m and n.

Originally posted by Hurkyl

Step 1:
Prove that if p and q are elements of S, then for any integers x and y, xp + yq is an element of S if it is positive.

i don't think this statement is true because if x and y are both negative and p and q are both positive then xp+yq would be negative.

Which is why I said

xp + yq is an element of S if it is positive.

(added emphasis)

What is the "Cancellation Law"?

The "Cancellation Law" is a mathematical rule that states that when two numbers are multiplied together, the product will remain the same even if the order of the numbers is changed. In other words, the order of multiplication does not affect the result.

How does the "Cancellation Law" work?

The "Cancellation Law" works by simplifying the multiplication of fractions or algebraic expressions. When there are common factors in the numerator and denominator, they can be cancelled out before multiplying. This makes the calculation easier and the result remains the same.

Can the "Cancellation Law" be applied to division?

Yes, the "Cancellation Law" can also be applied to division. When dividing fractions or algebraic expressions, you can cancel out common factors in the numerator and denominator to simplify the calculation and get the same result.

Is the "Cancellation Law" only applicable to numbers?

No, the "Cancellation Law" can also be applied to algebraic expressions and variables. As long as there are common factors in the terms, they can be cancelled out using the "Cancellation Law" before multiplying or dividing.

Are there any exceptions to the "Cancellation Law"?

Yes, there are some cases where the "Cancellation Law" cannot be applied. For example, if there are terms with different exponents, or if there are terms with addition or subtraction, the "Cancellation Law" cannot be used. It is important to carefully analyze the terms before applying the "Cancellation Law" to avoid errors in calculations.