Motion on Incline: Solving for Velocity

In summary, the ball begins at a height of h and has a velocity of v. If you need an expression for the velocity at time, t, you need to use a force approach and find acceleration then integrate to find velocity at time t.
amcavoy
I don't know a lot about physics so please excuse me. Let's say you have a marble rolling down a frictionless plane of an incline θ degrees from the horizontal. It begins at a height ho with an initial velocity of 0. I want to find the velocity of the marble at any height along the way. What I've done is below:

[tex]mgh=\frac{1}{2}mv^{2}\implies v=\sqrt{2gh}[/tex]

Since g is downward, I worked it out that the force in the direction of motion would be [itex]g\sin{\theta}[/itex]. Thus the velocity at any given height would be [itex]\sqrt{2gh\sin{\theta}}[/itex]. However, this doesn't account for the fact that the ball begins at rest. Is this incorrect or am I on the right track?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You would be completely on the right track if it was a block, not a rolling ball.

If you've covered angular mechanics, then this becomes a much more complicated problem because a rolling ball stores energy (the rotation is a form of kinetic energy). The kinetic energy of a spinning object of any sort, or, angular kinetic energy is given by [tex]KE=1/2*I\omega ^{2}[/tex], where I is you moment of inertia and [tex]\omega[/tex] is your angular velocity. In addition to this you have your normal [tex]1/2mv^{2}[/tex] for your kinetic energy.

Now, assuming that you haven't covered angular mechanics, then we can ignore the whole rotational aspect of the problem, and then you're completely right thus far.

Your expression for the velocity at a height, h, [tex]v= \sqrt{2gh}[/tex] is right.

If you need an expression for the velocity at time, t, then you need to use a force approach, where the net force on the object is [tex]F=mg\sin\theta[/tex]. From there you find acceleration, then integrate to find velocity at time t.

I hope I've been of help, and if you haven't covered angular mechanics yet, ignore that little section I posted about it, you'll cover that in due time.

Great thanks a lot for the response I appreciate it.

Related to Motion on Incline: Solving for Velocity

1. How do you calculate the velocity of an object on an incline?

The velocity of an object on an incline can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh sinθ), where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height of the incline, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of incline and the velocity of an object?

The angle of incline and the velocity of an object have a direct relationship. As the angle of incline increases, the velocity of the object also increases.

3. Can the velocity of an object on an incline ever be greater than the velocity of the same object on a horizontal surface?

Yes, the velocity of an object on an incline can be greater than the velocity of the same object on a horizontal surface. This is because the object on an incline has the force of gravity acting on it, which can increase its velocity.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its velocity on an incline?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its velocity on an incline. However, a heavier object may require more force to overcome the force of gravity and move up the incline, which could affect its velocity.

5. Is there a difference in the velocity of an object on an incline when it is moving up versus when it is moving down?

Yes, there is a difference in the velocity of an object on an incline when it is moving up versus when it is moving down. This is because the direction of the force of gravity changes, which affects the acceleration of the object and therefore its velocity.