Motion of Charged Particles in E&B Fields

In summary, a system consisting of a long cylindrical anode and a coaxial cylindrical cathode produces a magnetic field in the surrounding space. The least potential difference between the cathode and anode at which the thermal electrons leaving the cathode without initial velocity start reaching the anode is found by solving the Fz equation.
PumpkinCougar95
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Problem Statement: A system consists of a long cylindrical anode of radius a and a coaxial cylindrical cathode of radius b (b < a). A filament located along the axis of the system carries a heating current I producing a magnetic field in the surrounding space. Find the least potential difference between the cathode and anode at which the thermal electrons leaving the cathode without initial velocity start reaching the anode.

Homework Equations

F = m dv/dt = q( E + v x B )

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have tried: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sLIz7ZsUwS0wkBW4iGEXWJBrxCenahKs

Ans..jpeg

In the last step, I forgot to put a square on the log() term. But what I have written is given as the correct answer. I do not understand what I have done wrong. Help, please?

Attachments

• Ans..jpeg
    Ans..jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 353
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF!

Why do you think you've made a mistake?

The answer I got is not correct. Apart from that, I don't really understand.

PumpkinCougar95 said:
The answer I got is not correct. Apart from that, I don't really understand.
In your first post you said that what you had written gives the correct answer. Here you are saying you did not get the correct answer. So, I'm a little confused.
Your answer in the first post looks correct to me (except for possibly a sign issue).

Oh sorry for the misunderstanding. In the last step I wrote, you can see I missed a square sign on the log() term from my previous line. What I meant was that the correct answer doesn't have a square on the log() term.

I think the correct answer should have a square on the log term.

But here it doesn't have a square...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=150Xo6D7BZjyYOkX3oiMmyqtbWZdhIVGA
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RFOoNg3Pk5N35cuZ9o_Wv5ugz3aMfgIW

upload_2018-2-23_16-34-13.png

In deriving the second equation from the first equation above, you should get a square on the log term.
[EDIT: The first equation above should have a square on the log in the second term on the right side. The answer for V in the second equation should also have a square on the log.]

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-23_16-34-13.png
    upload_2018-2-23_16-34-13.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Yes, i got it. Thanks for your help!

Likes TSny
I think you would only need to solve the Fz equation to get the answer, so it doesn't make any difference whether you use cylindrical or cartesian coordinates.

I have no idea on how to solve these equations completely.

But if you know ##V_z## you can apply conservation of energy between r=a and r=b. See my first post.

I'm deleting all my files for this thread because I'm stumped! :H May revisit later.

Related to Motion of Charged Particles in E&B Fields

1. What is the E&B field and how does it affect charged particles?

The E&B field is a type of electromagnetic field created by the presence of an electric charge or a changing magnetic field. It affects charged particles by exerting a force on them, causing them to accelerate or change direction.

2. How do charged particles move in an E&B field?

In an E&B field, charged particles will move in a curved path due to the force exerted on them. The exact path will depend on the strength and direction of the field, as well as the charge and velocity of the particle.

3. What is the difference between the E field and the B field?

The E field, or electric field, is created by stationary charges and exerts a force on other charges. The B field, or magnetic field, is created by moving charges and can also exert a force on other moving charges. However, the E field only affects charged particles, while the B field affects both charged particles and neutral particles with magnetic properties.

4. How does the motion of charged particles in an E&B field relate to electromagnetic radiation?

The motion of charged particles in an E&B field can produce electromagnetic radiation, such as light or radio waves. This is because the acceleration of charged particles creates a changing electric and magnetic field, which can then propagate as electromagnetic waves.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the motion of charged particles in E&B fields?

Understanding the motion of charged particles in E&B fields is crucial for many modern technologies, such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and electric motors. It also plays a role in fields like plasma physics and astronomy, where charged particles and electromagnetic fields are prevalent.