Motion of a photoelectron

• Thread starter Himal kharel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: I think most people are focusing on just the energy of the photoelectron and not taking into account all the other factors that come into play.In summary, the OP asked if an atom absorbs energy just equal to the work function, what happens to the motion of the photoelectron. Einstein's photoelectric equation says that the KE of the photoelectron will be zero. But there is enough energy for the electron to escape from the surface.
Himal kharel
if an atom absorbs energy just equal to work function what happens to motion of photoelectron?

Physics news on Phys.org
Einstein's photoelectric equation says that the KE of the photoelectron will be zero.

I don't think the electron is ejected...

But there is enough energy for the electron to escape from the surface.

Himal kharel said:
if an atom absorbs energy just equal to work function what happens to motion of photoelectron?

People are responding to this question as if it is clear what is being asked. Maybe I know this area too much that I can't see the forest, but what exactly is meant by "motion of photoelectron"? There are several different motions here, and it is unclear how much in detail this member is asking. There is the motion of the electron while STILL in the material, and then there's "motion" (or lack there of if it has zero KE left) once it left the surface of the material.

Zz.

,,,it is unclear how much in detail this member is asking.

yes, but maybe we can assist by answering a question...as we all know asking the RIGHT question is usually not easy...

But there is enough energy for the electron to escape from the surface.

Why do you think that will happen??

... because that is what 'work function' means. If it has that much energy it will have enough to get to the surface.

Exactly...JUST enough energy toget to the surface...so would it not TEND to return to it's former state??

I am not claiming that, but simple logic seems to suggest it...

Naty1 said:
Exactly...JUST enough energy toget to the surface...so would it not TEND to return to it's former state??

I am not claiming that, but simple logic seems to suggest it...

See, this is exactly what I meant when I said that the question is vague, but you think it can still be "answered". When you start splitting hairs and want to know what exactly is going on AT the work function energy, then the details now make a heck of a difference!

For example, did anyone bother to look up Spicer's 3-step model of photoemission? Or did anyone even consider all the components that make up this so-called "work function"? Yet, we seem to think that we can easily answer such a question.

The OP did a post-and-run. He/she hasn't come back yet to offer any response, while leaving the rest of us holding the bag and arguing what's in it. Consider that for a minute.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
For example, did anyone bother to look up Spicer's 3-step model of photoemission?

One step model is way better :)

Related to Motion of a photoelectron

1. What is a photoelectron?

A photoelectron is an electron that is released from the surface of a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

2. How does the motion of a photoelectron differ from that of a regular electron?

The motion of a photoelectron differs from that of a regular electron because it is initially released with a high amount of kinetic energy from the absorption of a photon. This energy determines the trajectory and speed of the photoelectron.

3. What factors affect the motion of a photoelectron?

The motion of a photoelectron is affected by the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, the properties of the material surface, and the initial energy of the photoelectron.

4. Can the motion of a photoelectron be controlled?

Yes, the motion of a photoelectron can be controlled by adjusting the intensity and wavelength of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material surface it is released from.

5. What are some applications of studying the motion of photoelectrons?

Studying the motion of photoelectrons can provide valuable information about the properties of materials, such as their electronic structure and surface composition. It is also used in technologies such as solar cells, photodetectors, and electron microscopy.