Motion of a bead on a rotating linear rod

In summary: I'm sorry.In summary, the rotating bead will slide out away from the origin due to the coriolis and centrifugal forces.
physicsvalk

Homework Statement

The center of a long frictionless rod, pivoted at the origin, is forced to rotate at a constant angular velocity Ω in the horizontal xy-plane. Write down the equation of motion for a bead threaded on the rod, using the coordinates x and y where x is measured along the rod and y perpendicular to it. Solve for x(t). What is the role of the centrifugal and coriolis force?

Homework Equations

Newton's Second Law in a rotating frame?

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the bead's fixed to move along the wire, I've eliminated the equation for the motion along the y-axis. The bead's position along the x-axis varies with time, and based on the coriolis effect, the bead should slide out away from the origin.

I'm not sure how to deal with the math from here though. Any tips on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are several different ways to do it. What have you been taught so far? Have a go using the method you are familiar with.

Right now we're working on nonlinear mechanics, but we've covered Lagrangian mechanics. I'm not sure how I should start this problem using either method. I know that the rotation will cause the bead to slide out, but I'm not sure how to model it...

To start with, you know it is 2d motion of an object (the bead), so you can first write down the general equation of motion for an object in 2d.

Edit: Also, the question is talking about polar coordinates, so that's the coordinate system you should use.

The question itself is asking for the equation of motion in cartesian coordinates. My question is, how can I incorporate the rotation into my answer?

How do you usually incorporate rotational motion? I can't really tell you how I would do it, because I think that would be giving too much help.

Ohh, I see. Thanks for the help!

If you don't help me by giving it a go, I can't help you.

Related to Motion of a bead on a rotating linear rod

1. How does the rotational speed of the rod affect the motion of the bead?

The rotational speed of the rod affects the motion of the bead in two ways. First, it determines the speed at which the bead moves along the rod. The faster the rotation, the faster the bead will move. Second, it affects the centripetal force acting on the bead, which determines the radius of the bead's circular motion.

2. What forces are acting on the bead as it moves along the rotating rod?

There are two main forces acting on the bead: the centripetal force and the frictional force. The centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular motion, keeps the bead moving along the rod. The frictional force, which is directed opposite to the direction of motion, helps to slow down the bead and prevent it from slipping off the rod.

3. How does the weight of the bead affect its motion?

The weight of the bead plays a role in determining the centripetal force acting on the bead. The greater the weight of the bead, the greater the centripetal force required to keep it moving in a circular path. This means that a heavier bead will require a higher rotational speed to maintain the same circular path as a lighter bead.

4. Can the bead move in a straight line on the rotating rod?

No, the bead will always move in a circular path on the rotating rod. This is due to the centripetal force acting on the bead, which continuously pulls it towards the center of the circular motion. However, the radius of the circular path can vary depending on the rotational speed of the rod.

5. How does the length of the rod affect the motion of the bead?

The length of the rod does not affect the motion of the bead as long as the rod is long enough to allow for circular motion. However, a shorter rod may require a higher rotational speed to maintain the same circular path as a longer rod, as the centripetal force required is dependent on the radius of the circular motion.