Motion in two dimensions please?

In summary, a worker drops a hammer from a roof with a speed of 4m/s and an angle of 30 degrees relative to the horizon. The hammer falls 10 meters from the ground. The horizontal displacement of the hammer can be found by using the formulas X=Vox*t and Y=Voy*t +g*t^2/2, where t is the time the hammer takes to reach the ground. To find t, set Y to -10m and solve for t, using the known value of Voy.
Questions999
A worker works in a roof and let's a hammer fall over the roof with the speed 4m/s.The roof forms an angle 30 degree related to the horizon and its lowest point its 10meters from the ground.What is the horizontal displacement of the hammer from the moment he leaves the roof to the moment he touches the ground.

So X=Vox*t
I need to find that t.
Y=Voy*t +g*t^2/2

Y is 10 m ...what do I do now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Elaia06 said:
A worker works in a roof and let's a hammer fall over the roof with the speed 4m/s.The roof forms an angle 30 degree related to the horizon and its lowest point its 10meters from the ground.What is the horizontal displacement of the hammer from the moment he leaves the roof to the moment he touches the ground.

So X=Vox*t
I need to find that t.
Y=Voy*t +g*t^2/2

Y is 10 m ...what do I do now?

When t = 0, Y = 0. Let Y = -10m and solve for t. You know what Voy is.

1. What is the difference between motion in one dimension and motion in two dimensions?

Motion in one dimension refers to the movement of an object along a straight line, such as a car driving along a road. Motion in two dimensions involves movement in two directions, such as the path of a ball being thrown through the air.

2. How is velocity calculated in two dimensions?

Velocity in two dimensions is calculated by dividing the total displacement in both the x and y directions by the total time taken. This can be represented by the equation v = (∆x/∆t)i + (∆y/∆t)j, where i and j are unit vectors representing the x and y directions, respectively.

3. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in two dimensions where an object is thrown or launched into the air and moves along a curved path due to the forces of gravity and air resistance. Examples of projectile motion include a basketball being shot into a hoop or a rocket being launched into space.

4. How does acceleration affect motion in two dimensions?

Acceleration in two dimensions occurs when there is a change in both the speed and direction of an object's motion. This can happen when an object is moving in a curved path, such as when a car turns a corner. The acceleration can be represented by the equation a = (∆v/∆t)i + (∆v/∆t)j, where i and j are unit vectors representing the x and y directions, respectively.

5. What factors can affect motion in two dimensions?

Some factors that can affect motion in two dimensions include the initial velocity, the angle of launch or projection, air resistance, and the presence of external forces such as friction or gravity. These factors can impact the trajectory, speed, and acceleration of an object in two-dimensional motion.