Motion in Nonlinear Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the time-dependent velocity equation for motion along a curve, specifically a skateboarder on a half pipe. The problem is abstracted to a uniform sphere of mass m and radius r being released from the top edge of a semicircle half pipe with radius R. The time-dependent velocity equation v(t) is sought for the sphere, with consideration of two scenarios: (i) ignoring friction, and (ii) if the sphere is rotating. The individual attempts at solving the problem are discussed, with the suggestion to model it using differential equations. The possibility of using the free body approach is also mentioned for deriving the ODE, and it is noted that the equation for a rolling sphere may be equivalent to reduced gravity
kgns

Homework Statement

How do you derive the time-dependent velocity equation for motion along a curve, such as a skateboarder on a half pipe?

For the sake of abstraction, I ask myself the following:

A uniform sphere of mass m and radius r is set free from the top edge of a semicircle half pipe with radius R. If R > r, what is the time-dependent velocity equation v(t) for the sphere in terms of t, m, r, R and g?

(i) ignoring any effects of friction?
(ii) if the sphere is rotating?2. The attempt at a solution

If it were an inclined plane, we'd have no problem with
[itex]v(t)=gtsin(\alpha)[/itex]

Considering the halfpipe an infinitesimal sum of inclined planes we'd get
[itex]\int^{0}_{t}gsin\alpha(t)\partial\alpha[/itex]

However I've failed to derive [itex]\alpha[/itex] in terms of t.

How can I model such a problem in differential equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume this is all in the plane at right angles to the trough's axis.
If you ignore friction then the object will slide, so its shape is somewhat irrelevant. The problem becomes a simple pendulum, but using the exact equation, not the approximation for small angles that makes it effectively SHM. You should be able to derive the ODE using the usual free body approach.
For a rolling sphere, I don't expect it to be much different. Should be equivalent to reduced gravity. Again, do try to obtain the equation.

Related to Motion in Nonlinear Differential Equations

What is the definition of nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations are mathematical equations that involve multiple variables and their derivatives, and the relationship between these variables is not proportional or linear. In other words, changing one variable does not result in a constant change in another variable.

What is the significance of studying motion in nonlinear differential equations?

The study of motion in nonlinear differential equations is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of complex systems that cannot be accurately described by linear equations. These systems include weather patterns, population dynamics, and chemical reactions.

What are some real-world applications of nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, biology, economics, and neuroscience. They are used to model and analyze a variety of phenomena, such as fluid flow, electric circuits, population growth, and neuronal activity.

What are some techniques for solving nonlinear differential equations?

There are several techniques for solving nonlinear differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods. Additionally, there are specific methods for certain types of nonlinear equations, such as the method of undetermined coefficients for second-order equations.

What are the challenges of studying motion in nonlinear differential equations?

Studying motion in nonlinear differential equations can be challenging due to the complexity of the equations and the difficulty in finding exact solutions. In many cases, numerical methods or approximations must be used. Additionally, the behavior of nonlinear systems can be unpredictable and sensitive to initial conditions.