Motion Diagram: Swimmer at a Swim Meet?

In summary: The object in this diagram does not behave like a car and would not suddenly change direction. The object in this diagram is a person.
andyman21
In this problem I am asked, in one or two sentences, to explain what this motion diagram is and explain if its an object or a person.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1012700/6/jfk.Figure.01.U37EOC.jpg

I have posted a jpg file here of the picture that I need to describe, hopefully you can open it and are able to view it.

My idea of this picture would be a swimmer at a swim meet or something. Starts off fast and then turns back the other way starting fast then coming to a stop when he comes back to his start point. I could be confused however, I could use some guidance.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
andyman21 said:
In this problem I am asked, in one or two sentences, to explain what this motion diagram is and explain if its an object or a person.

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1012700/6/jfk.Figure.01.U37EOC.jpg

I have posted a jpg file here of the picture that I need to describe, hopefully you can open it and are able to view it.

My idea of this picture would be a swimmer at a swim meet or something. Starts off fast and then turns back the other way starting fast then coming to a stop when he comes back to his start point. I could be confused however, I could use some guidance.

Thanks,

The object doesn't get back to where it started, so probably not a smimming race.

From the start, the velocity increases.

What object have you ever seen increase its speed uniformly?

I hope I am right or have a good idea, but for example a car would have a constant speed once it reaches its desired speed limit of course or the speed limit of the road. ?

andyman21 said:
I hope I am right or have a good idea, but for example a car would have a constant speed once it reaches its desired speed limit of course or the speed limit of the road. ?

What would cause the car to suddenly go the other way?

andyman21 said:

can you think of anything that increases its speed uniformly then suddenly stops?

I am off to bed, but I will give you a hint.
Grab hold of your pen, stand up, hold your hand out in front of you, then let the pen go.

Last edited:

1. What is a motion diagram?

A motion diagram is a visual representation of an object's position over time. It consists of a series of snapshots or frames that show the object's position at regular time intervals.

2. How is a motion diagram created?

A motion diagram is created by taking measurements of an object's position at regular time intervals and plotting them on a graph. The positions are connected by lines to show the path of the object's motion.

3. What does a motion diagram of a swimmer at a swim meet show?

A motion diagram of a swimmer at a swim meet would show the swimmer's position in the pool at regular time intervals, as well as their direction and speed of movement.

4. How can a motion diagram of a swimmer at a swim meet be used?

A motion diagram can be used to analyze the swimmer's performance and track changes in their speed and direction throughout the race. It can also be used to identify areas where the swimmer may need to improve their technique.

5. What other factors can affect the motion of a swimmer at a swim meet?

Aside from the swimmer's own movement, other factors that can affect their motion at a swim meet include water resistance, the force of their strokes, and the movement of other swimmers in the pool.