Motion and Acceleration of Connected Blocks on an Inclined Plane with a Pulley

In summary, we have a system of two blocks connected by a cord over a frictionless pulley on inclined planes. The forces exerted by each block were found to be 490N and 391.8N respectively, resulting in the system moving in the direction of the 100kg block when released from rest. The net force on the system was calculated to be 98.15N in the left direction, and using the mass of the 100kg block, the acceleration was determined to be 0.9815m/s2. However, it is important to note that this calculation assumes that only the 100kg block is affected by the net force, which may not be entirely accurate.
moondawg

Homework Statement

2 blocks connected by a cord passing over a small, frictionless pulley rest on frictionless planes. a.) Which way will the system move when the blocks are released from rest? b.) what is the acceleration of the blocks?
*** picture a triangle with a 100kg block over its left slops at angle of 30 degrees, and a 50kg block over its right slope with a 53.1 degree angle with a string through a fricitonless pulley connecting the 2 blocks together.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the forces exerted by each of the blocks by breaking up into components. I found the force for the 100 kg block to be 490N down the ramp and the force for the 50kg block to be 391.8N down the ramp so for a.) the system will movethe blokcs to the left(in the direction of 100kg block).
For b.) i found the net force to be 98.15N in the left direction then set 98.15=100a and found a to be .9815m/s2. I used 100kg as my mass bc that is the mass of block in which the direction of both blocks are going according to my data. But idk if that's right? please someone help me out?!

Physics news on Phys.org
98.15=100a
writing like this is like saying that the net force makes only 100 kg block to move, and 50 kg block isn't affected by it.

Related to Motion and Acceleration of Connected Blocks on an Inclined Plane with a Pulley

1. What is a block and pulley system?

A block and pulley system is a mechanical device that consists of one or more pulleys connected to a block. The block is typically a solid object with one or more grooves or sheaves that allow a rope or cable to pass through. Pulleys are used to change the direction of a force or to distribute the weight of an object over multiple ropes or cables.

2. How does a block and pulley system work?

A block and pulley system works by using the principle of mechanical advantage. This means that the pulleys in the system reduce the amount of force needed to lift a heavy object. As the number of pulleys increases, the force required to lift the object decreases. The trade-off is that the distance the rope or cable must be pulled increases with each additional pulley.

3. What are the different types of block and pulley systems?

There are three main types of block and pulley systems: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulley systems have a single pulley that is attached to a fixed point, such as a ceiling or wall. Movable pulley systems have a pulley that moves along with the load being lifted. Compound pulley systems combine fixed and movable pulleys to provide an even greater mechanical advantage.

4. What are some real-world applications of block and pulley systems?

Block and pulley systems are used in a variety of industries, including construction, transportation, and manufacturing. They are commonly used in cranes, elevators, and conveyor systems to lift and move heavy loads. They are also used in simple machines, such as manual hoists and window blinds.

5. What are the advantages of using a block and pulley system?

One of the main advantages of using a block and pulley system is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift heavy objects, making tasks easier and less physically demanding. Additionally, the use of pulleys can also help to distribute the weight of an object evenly, preventing strain on a single point. This can be particularly useful in situations where precision and control are necessary, such as in construction or manufacturing processes.