Motion 2 problems - Tossing hay bales and baseballs

• Thread starter blackraven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary,The hay bale machine throws each finished bundle of hay 2.0 m up in the air so it can land on a trailer waiting 4.7 m behind the machine. The launch angle is 0o.For the baseball, it is popped up, remaining aloft for 6.3 s before being caught at a horizontal distance of 83 m from the starting point. The launch angle is 20o.
blackraven
Motion 2 problems -- Tossing hay bales and baseballs

Homework Statement

1. A hay-baling machine throws each finished bundle of hay 2.0 m up in the air so it can land on a trailer waiting 4.7 m behind the machine.

(a) What must be the speed with which the bundles are launched?

2. A baseball is popped up, remaining aloft for 6.3 s before being caught at a horizontal distance of 83 m from the starting point. What was the launch angle?

Homework Equations

1. x = 1/2at^2 +vot +x0
x-xo = d

2. vx = cos*vo
vy = sin*vo

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I used the distance and plugged it into the first equation but it is the wrong answer I believe.
2. I know that in the end I have to divdide vy by vx and take the arctan of that but I do not understand how to find vy and vx. Can someone explain to me step by and step and what that means?

Physics news on Phys.org

blackraven said:

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I used the distance and plugged it into the first equation but it is the wrong answer I believe.
2. I know that in the end I have to divdide vy by vx and take the arctan of that but I do not understand how to find vy and vx. Can someone explain to me step by and step and what that means?

Let's first talk about the vertical motion. At the maximum height, velocity is zero. Initially, the vertical velocity is vsinθ (a component of the initial velocity making an angle θ with the ground). You have initial velocity, final velocity, displacement and the acceleration.
Can you form an equation now?

This is going to sound like weird advice, but you're not thinking about the problem right. Don't think "I know that in the end I have to..." Just work through it.

Your equations are sound. Let's start with this: you know the maximum height right? What can you find with that if you know the acceleration of gravity?

blackraven said:

Homework Equations

1. x = 1/2at^2 +vot +x0
x-xo = d

2. vx = cos*vo
vy = sin*vo

ISEE Method

1. Identify
a) Only one object - the hay bale
b) The object doing 2 works. Going in horizontal and verical motion.

2. Select
y=y0+vy0ty+(1/2)ayty2
x=x0+vx0tx+(1/2)axtx2

Since it involves only one object,
ty=tx

3. Execute
4. Evaluate

Last edited:

For the first problem, we can use the equation x-x0 = d, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position, and d is the distance. We know that the final position is 4.7 m behind the machine and the initial position is 0 m. So, we can plug in these values and solve for d:

x-x0 = d
4.7 m - 0 m = d
d = 4.7 m

This means that the hay bale must be launched with a speed that will make it travel a distance of 4.7 m in order to land on the trailer.

For the second problem, we can use the equations vx = cos*vo and vy = sin*vo to find the launch angle. We know that the horizontal distance traveled is 83 m and the time the ball was in the air is 6.3 s. So, we can use the equation vx = d/t to find the horizontal velocity:

vx = d/t
vx = 83 m/6.3 s
vx = 13.2 m/s

Now, we can use the equation vy = sin*vo to find the vertical velocity. We know that the ball was caught at the same height it was launched from, so the final vertical position is the same as the initial vertical position:

vy = sin*vo
0 m/s = sin*vo
sin*vo = 0

This means that the initial vertical velocity must be 0 m/s. Now, we can use the equation vx = cos*vo to find the launch angle:

vx = cos*vo
13.2 m/s = cos*vo
cos*vo = 13.2 m/s

We can use a calculator to find the inverse cosine of 13.2 m/s, which is approximately 82.3 degrees. So, the launch angle of the baseball was approximately 82.3 degrees.

Related to Motion 2 problems - Tossing hay bales and baseballs

1. What is the difference between tossing hay bales and baseballs in terms of motion?

While both involve throwing an object in a specific direction, the main difference lies in the object's mass and shape. Hay bales are typically larger and heavier, which means they will have a slower initial velocity and more resistance to air resistance compared to a smaller and lighter baseball.

2. How can we calculate the trajectory of a hay bale or baseball?

To calculate the trajectory of any object, we need to consider its initial velocity, the angle at which it is thrown, and the force of gravity. We can use mathematical equations such as the projectile motion equation to determine the path of the object.

3. Does the weight of the hay bale or baseball affect its motion?

Yes, the weight of an object does affect its motion. Heavier objects will have a greater force of gravity acting on them, which can impact their trajectory and speed. However, the shape and aerodynamics of the object also play a significant role in its motion.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a hay bale or baseball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the motion of an object by creating a force that acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This is why objects with a larger surface area, like hay bales, experience more air resistance than smaller objects like baseballs.

5. Can we apply the laws of motion to both hay bales and baseballs?

Yes, both hay bales and baseballs follow the same laws of motion, such as Newton's Laws of Motion. However, due to their differences in mass and shape, the specific calculations and outcomes may vary.