What Are Your Most Misheard Song Lyrics?

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary: Eddie Vedder's lyrics are usually pretty clear, but in "Yellow Ledbetter" they're rather more impressionist. What I hear is:Unsealed, on a porch a letter sat.Then you said I wanna leave it again.Once I saw her on a beach of weathered sand.And on the sand I wanna leave her
Now, isn't that special.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by zoobyshoe
Now, isn't that special.

LOL! Don't do this to me, I've barely recovered from tribdog's comment in another thread (the other people in the library must think I'm a nut).

Two TV Show themes come to mind. I put in bold the parts I think are hard to understand.

The Flintstone Theme
Flintstones... Meet the Flintstones,
They're a modern stoneage family.
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history.

Let's ride with the family down the street.
Thru the courtesy of Fred's two feet.

When you're with the Flintstones,
have a yabba dabba doo time,
a dabba doo time,
we'll have a gay old time.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Those Were the Days
(from: All in the Family)
Boy, the way Glen Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade
Guys like us, we had it made
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then
Girls were girls and men were men
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again

Didn't need no welfare state
Everybody pulled his weight
Gee, our old LaSalle ran great
Those were the days.

Toto - Africa

Original: "I bless the rains down in Africa"

Misheard #1: "I miss the rains down in Africa"
Misheard #2: "I piss the rains down in Africa"

Originally posted by sandinmyears
Two TV Show themes come to mind. I put in bold the parts I think are hard to understand.

The Flintstone Theme
Flintstones... Meet the Flintstones,
They're a modern stoneage family.
From the town of Bedrock,
They're a page right out of history.

Let's ride with the family down the street.
Thru the courtesy of Fred's two feet.

When you're with the Flintstones,
have a yabba dabba doo time,
a dabba doo time,
we'll have a gay old time.
-------------------------------------------------------------

With the Flintstones thing, with the courtesy of Fred's two feet would be to do with the car. If you remember, the 'Flintstone-mobile' had holes in the bottom so that it could be driven by Fred running along! that's probably the reason for it even if the lyrics sound stupid

I never had an inkling to Pink Floyds Another Brick In The Wall:

You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

I finally read it somewhere and now I can't imagine not being able to understand it.

So I would be interested in seeing how butchered up THOSE lyrics have gotten. Actually, they don't need to be butchered to sound DAMN FUNNY. They are hillarious on their own.

It's a critical solution
And the east coast got the blues
It's a mass of confusion
Like the lies they sell to you

You got a glass jawed toothache
Of a mental disease
An they be runnin' round back
See 'em line up on their knees
'Cause the kiss ass sycophants
Throwin' penance at your feet

When they got nowhere to go
Watch 'em come in off the streets
While they're bangin' out front
Inside their slammin' to the cruch
Go on an throw me to the lions
And the whole damn screamin' bunch
'Cause the pissed-off rip-offs
'R' everywhere you turn
Tell me how a generation's
Ever s'posed to learn
This fire is burnin'
and it's out of control
It's not a problem you can stop
It's rock n' roll

I read it on a wall
It went straight to my head
It said "Dance to the tension
of a world on edge"
We got racial violence
And who'll cast the first stone
And sex is used anyway it can be
Sometimes when I look out
It's hard to see the day
It's a feelin' you can have it
It's not mine to take away

Lost in the garden of Eden
Said we're lost in the garden of Eden
And there's no one's going to believe this
But we're lost in the garden of Eden
This fire is burnin'
and it's out of control
It's rock n' roll
Suck on that

Looking through this point of view
There's no way I'm going to fit in
Don't you tell me what my eyes see
Don't you tell me who to believe in
I ain't superstitious
But I know when somethin's wrong
I've been draggin' my heels
With a ***** called hope
Let the undercurrent drag me along

But we're lost in the garden of Eden

Most organized religions make
A mockery of humanity
Our governments are dangerous
And out of control
The garden of Eden is just another graveyard
Said if they had someone to buy it
Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul

This fire is burnin'
and it's out of control
It's rock n' roll
(An we ain't talkin' about no poison apple or some missin' rib you hear)

This fire is burnin'
and it's out of control
It's rock n' roll

Could it be that some crazed fool is trying to work out how Axl Roses mind works?

Does it matter what the lyrics to a song are if it sounds good?

some crazed fool? I am not crazed...merely fazed! It doesn't matter whether we try to understand the lyrics of these artists just that they odd. not all lyrics are simple like 'i f**k like a beast' (courtesy of WASP) lol

Well, for me, I'm more interested in the musical aspect of songs then the lyrics. I tend to listen to the voice as another instrument in the band, where others give the majority of there attention to the singer.

Whats cool about a musical note, is there is no misunderstanding or open interpretations. It is what it is. I think some of the best songs ever made have not one spoken word.

I never had an inkling to Pink Floyds Another Brick In The Wall:

You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

I finally read it somewhere and now I can't imagine not being able to understand it.

So I would be interested in seeing how butchered up THOSE lyrics have gotten. Actually, they don't need to be butchered to sound DAMN FUNNY. They are hillarious on their own.

Those come all the way at the end. They're probably the easiest parts of the song to understand (since they're not really part of the song, just the random noices the bands likes to throw in)

And no one has said Louie Louie! The most famous "I have no idea what they're saying" song of all time. XD

Originally posted by megashawn
Well, for me, I'm more interested in the musical aspect of songs then the lyrics. I tend to listen to the voice as another instrument in the band, where others give the majority of there attention to the singer.

Whats cool about a musical note, is there is no misunderstanding or open interpretations. It is what it is. I think some of the best songs ever made have not one spoken word.

I have to agree with that but i think that lyrics express the song. With most songs, they are written with lyrics in mind so the only way to explain the title and bring out the emotion and opinion of the song writer is to add words to it. But then again with some musicians eg, Slash or Yngwie Malmsteen, i could listen to them play guitar all day because their emotions are expressed through the guitar and each note means something, just like each word in a poem is written for a reason.

Originally posted by megashawn
Whats cool about a musical note, is there is no misunderstanding or open interpretations. It is what it is.
You would think, but in actual practise there are a few famous singers who sing out of tune. You never can tell what note they meant to hit. Dylan, is probably the most famous example. My favorite is the great Brian Wilson, of the Beach Boys, who bent the pitches of his melodies slightly, not meaning to, but with beautiful effect. His song "The Girls On The Beach" is virtually atonal music, the way they performed it.
I think some of the best songs ever made have not one spoken word.
Just a note on terminology: a song is a piece of music with singing in it. You wouldn't expect to find any spoken words in a song. Music without the component of a human voice isn't, technically, a song at all. In popular music the best term for this would be an "instrumental".

In classical music there is the "vocalise", a piece of music without words but sung with all the resources of the human voice, usually with orchestra accompaniment. Tastes differ but I consider the vocalise by Villa-Lobos to be very beautiful.

Originally posted by Beren
Those come all the way at the end. They're probably the easiest parts of the song to understand (since they're not really part of the song, just the random noices the bands likes to throw in)

And no one has said Louie Louie! The most famous "I have no idea what they're saying" song of all time. XD
Well, I always thought (and SOMEONE out there had better jump in and say that THEY always thought it said this, too! - I can't be the only one with a dirty mind!:wink:) that they were saying "I felt my bone in her hair". But, NO! The words are "I smell the rose in her hair".

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
In classical music there is the "vocalise", a piece of music without words but sung with all the resources of the human voice, usually with orchestra accompaniment. Tastes differ but I consider the vocalise by Villa-Lobos to be very beautiful.
You get the same effect from listening to any music sung in a foreign language you don't understand. A couple times I've been disapointed when I read a translation of what they were actually saying. I would think it takes a lot of discipline to write for the human voice without words.

Bill Oddie, wow if he used the his first name initial he would be b.oddie b.oddy...lol body put ur hands on my body...not quite the same affect...lol

how bout from that cheesy pop song 'i want to sex you up' how do u sex someone up?