Most efficient backgrounder on differential geometry ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of understanding differential forms in theoretical physics and engineering. The speaker is looking for a short, concise book on the subject and is recommended several options, including Flander's article in "Studies in Global Differential Geometry" and "The Geometry of Physics" by Frankel. The conversation also includes a warning against relying solely on cheap books from Dover.
lalbatros
I am used to classical tensor notations. I am doing theoretical physics during my hobby time, engineering for a living.
Often I get lost with differential forms notations and even I don't recognize easily the concepts. I don't have the patience to re-read the full text of the wonderful 'Gravitation' book by Wheeler.

Could some of you indicate me a very short book going fast to the point.

Thanks for your understanding !

Physics news on Phys.org
try the article by flanders in this volume: and the price is right. but i suggest you go back and read wheeler afterwards. what is so important, if you really want to understand the topic, to keep you from reading the book where you know perfectly well it is explained excellently?

Studies in Global Differential Geometry
Series: Studies in Mathematics

Editor: S.S. Chern

This is a most useful collection of papers for theoretical physicists. Flander's article on differential forms gives an excellent introduction to the subject. The other articles are more advanced, but they are all interesting to physicists who are now in daily contact with ideas and facts in global geometry.-C.N. Yang, Nobel Laureate

320 pp., Hardbound, 1989
ISBN 0-88385-129-6
Sale Price: $7.95
Catalog Number: MAS-27/W

http://www.maa.org/pubs/books/mas27.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This one is available on the www:

http://books.pdox.net/Math/Differential%20Geometry%20in%20Physics.pdf (Gabriel Lugo)​
It goes fast to the point. He makes a few remarks that help demystify the notations.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have over a dozen books on the subject, and i have found the best to be "The Geometry of Physics" by Frankel.

another book "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds" by Bishop is very good (it is a classic), but somewhat cryptic at times.

for a very easy intro to differential forms, "Differential Forms" by Weintraube is great. for a more sophisticated treatment of the subject, the book "Differential Forms and Connections" by Darling is good.

I would recommend staying away from the Dover books...yes, they are cheap, but I found them difficult to follow. Good for reference, but if you are just learning the stuff I would get some better texts.

If you are learning it by yourself, it is good to surround yourself with different texts since if you get stuck, you can just switch books and see if the same thing is explained differently.

Related to Most efficient backgrounder on differential geometry ?

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in higher-dimensional spaces. It combines the methods of calculus and linear algebra to analyze the geometric structures and transformations of these objects.

2. What is the importance of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and robotics. It also provides a framework for understanding and solving problems in geometry and topology.

3. What are some key concepts in differential geometry?

Some key concepts in differential geometry include manifolds, curvature, geodesics, and tensors. Manifolds are spaces that locally resemble Euclidean space, while curvature measures the deviation of a curve or surface from being flat. Geodesics are the shortest paths between two points on a curved surface, and tensors are multilinear maps that describe the geometric properties of a space.

4. What are the main areas of study in differential geometry?

The main areas of study in differential geometry include Riemannian geometry, symplectic geometry, and algebraic geometry. Riemannian geometry deals with the intrinsic properties of smooth manifolds, symplectic geometry studies the geometry of symplectic manifolds, and algebraic geometry focuses on the study of algebraic varieties using differential methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry has many real-world applications, such as in computer graphics for creating realistic 3D models and animations, in physics for understanding the curvature of space-time in general relativity, and in robotics for motion planning and control. It is also used in various engineering fields, such as designing optimal paths for vehicles and analyzing the shape of objects in fluid dynamics.