More statistics: counting problem

In summary, using the fundamental counting principle, there are a total of 8*2*9 = 144 possible area codes in the U.S. and Canada. If we are looking for area codes starting with a 4, there are 1*2*9 = 18 possible options.
crystal1
"For years, telephone area codes in the U.S. and Canada consisted of a sequence of three digits. The first digit was an integer between 2 and 9, the second digit was either 0 or 1, and the third digit was any integer from 1 to 9.
(1) How many area codes were possible?
(2) How many area codes starting with a 4 were possible?

Again, there are no further instructions and I do not know which formula to use for this problem.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is an application of the fundamental counting principle, much like your previous problem.

For part 1), can you state how many choices there are for each of the digits, and then find the product of these numbers of choices?

These are my choices..

However, I am unsure if multiplying them all together like the last problem would work? Or if I multiply the number of choices like 8*2*9?

crystal said:
These are my choices..

However, I am unsure if multiplying them all together like the last problem would work? Or if I multiply the number of choices like 8*2*9?

Your counts and application of the fundamental counting principle are exactly right. (Yes)

How would you now do part 2)?

6*6?

crystal said:
6*6?

For part 2), the first digit must be a 4, so we only have 1 choice there, and the remaining two digits have the same choices as they did for part 1). So, how many possible area codes do we have?

Related to More statistics: counting problem

1. What is a counting problem in statistics?

A counting problem in statistics is a problem that involves determining the number of possible outcomes or combinations in a given situation. This can include situations such as flipping a coin, rolling dice, or selecting a certain number of items from a larger group.

2. How do you approach a counting problem in statistics?

To approach a counting problem in statistics, it is important to first identify the type of problem you are dealing with. This could be a permutation problem, a combination problem, or a variation problem. Then, you can use a formula or method specific to that type of problem to calculate the number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations in counting problems?

Permutations and combinations are two different types of counting problems. Permutations involve counting the number of ways to arrange a set of objects, while combinations involve counting the number of ways to select a subset of objects from a larger group. In permutations, the order of the objects matters, while in combinations, the order does not matter.

4. How do you handle repetition in counting problems?

In some counting problems, there may be repetition involved, meaning that certain objects or numbers can be selected more than once. In these cases, it is important to adjust the formula or method being used to account for the repetition. For example, in a permutation problem with repetition, the formula would be n^r, where n is the number of objects and r is the number of selections.

5. Can you provide an example of a real-world counting problem in statistics?

One example of a real-world counting problem in statistics is determining the number of possible outcomes in a lottery game. In this situation, there are a certain number of numbers or balls that can be drawn, and the order of the numbers does not matter. The counting problem would involve using a combination formula to calculate the number of possible winning combinations.