More projectile motion difficulties

In summary, the problem involves finding the time the soccer ball was in the air after being kicked at a speed of 7.50 m/s and an angle of 30.0° above the horizontal. To solve the problem, the equations Vf = Vt + a(dt) and deltaY = Vi(t) + 1/2at^2 can be used, where a = -9.80 m/s and Vi can be found using trigonometry. By solving for t, the time in the air can be determined.
billieluv

Homework Statement

A soccer ball is kicked with a speed of 7.50 m/s at an angle of 30.0° above the horizontal. If the ball lands at the same level from which it was kicked, how long was it in the air? (Neglect air resistance.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to start, all of the equations are confusing me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This question is quadratic. What you need to find is how long the ball was in the air from when Vy=initial to Vy = 0. Your acceleration should be -9.80 m/s/. Finding the time, or the y-max (maximum height) will give you more insight as to how to solve the problem.

Vf = Vt + a(dt)? try it!

Sorry, how do I get y-max. I can't even begin to fill in this equation because I have only the acceleration

Okay. Vf = 0 (since it only goes so high if it's kicked), and Vi = 7.50 m/s. You can use deltaY= Vi(t)+1/2at^2, where your a = -9.80 m/s. Solve using the quadratic formula for t. Once you get t, you can multiply t by 2 since it takes the same amount of time for the ball to fall downward as it does going upward.

oh, wait. no. Get your Dy, by drawing a straight line through the middle of the pathway of the ball. use trigonometry to calculate the y part of the right triangle to get your Vi. then use the Vf=0, and then sub it into the equation to get t.

Related to More projectile motion difficulties

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the influence of gravity. It follows a parabolic path due to the downward force of gravity.

What are some common difficulties in understanding projectile motion?

Some common difficulties in understanding projectile motion include understanding the concept of acceleration and how it affects the motion of the object, understanding the relationship between initial velocity, angle of launch, and range, and understanding the difference between horizontal and vertical components of motion.

How can one overcome difficulties in understanding projectile motion?

One way to overcome difficulties in understanding projectile motion is to practice solving problems and understanding the equations that govern the motion. Visualization and drawing diagrams can also help in understanding the concepts.

What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications including sports such as basketball, baseball, and golf, launching objects into space, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.

What is the difference between projectile motion and uniform circular motion?

The main difference between projectile motion and uniform circular motion is that in projectile motion, the object is only under the influence of gravity, while in uniform circular motion, there is also a centripetal force acting on the object to keep it moving in a circular path.