More Differential Equations....

In summary: This is because the minus sign in front of $x$ reflects the graph across the $y$-axis, while the minus sign in front of $t$ in $-t$ reflects the graph across the $x$-axis. Therefore, the graph of $-x$ will be a reflection of the graph of $x$ across the $y$-axis, while the graph of $-t$ will be a reflection of the graph of $t$ across the $x$-axis. In summary, the function $-x$ is a reflection in the $y$-axis of function $x$, while the
MermaidWonders
Question - True or False: If $\frac{dx}{dt}$ = $\frac{1}{x}$ and $x$ = 3 when $t$ = 0, then $x$ is an increasing function of $t$.

View attachment 8011

I understand how the graph of $x$ was obtained (the graph on the board), but I really don't understand why she attempted to draw the negative root of $x$ the way she did in those faint dash lines (if you can see them, they actually try to show a the function $-x$). In other words, why is the $-x$ function a reflection in the $y$-axis of function $x$? Why isn't it reflected in the $x$-axis?

Attachments

• IMG_2361.JPG
    IMG_2361.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 74
Physics news on Phys.org
MermaidWonders said:
Question - True or False: If $\frac{dx}{dt}$ = $\frac{1}{x}$ and $x$ = 3 when $t$ = 0, then $x$ is an increasing function of $t$.
I understand how the graph of $x$ was obtained (the graph on the board), but I really don't understand why she attempted to draw the negative root of $x$ the way she did in those faint dash lines (if you can see them, they actually try to show a the function $-x$). In other words, why is the $-x$ function a reflection in the $y$-axis of function $x$? Why isn't it reflected in the $x$-axis?
Yes, if dx/dt= 1/x then x dx= dt. Integrating both sides, (1/2)x^2= t+C. Since x= 3 when t= 0, 9/2= C. (1/2)x^2= t+ 9/2 or x^2= 2t+ 9. Solving for x= sqrt(2t+ 9).

Strictly speaking, there is no "y" in the problem so there is no y-axis! You are really asking "why is only the positive square root taken and not x= -sqrt(2t+ 9)?" The difficulty is that 1/x does not exist for x= 0 so dx/dt= 1/x does not exist at x= 0. The initial value, x= 3 when t= 0 is in the upper half plane and the solution cannot be extended past x= 0.

I believe the faint graph is the imaginary part of the solution. I don't know why it would be included though.

Personally, I wouldn't even compute the solution to answer the question...given that $x$ is positive at $t=0$, and the fact that the RHS of the ODE is not going to change sign, we must therefore have that $x$ is an increasing function of $t$.

Country Boy said:
Yes, if dx/dt= 1/x then x dx= dt. Integrating both sides, (1/2)x^2= t+C. Since x= 3 when t= 0, 9/2= C. (1/2)x^2= t+ 9/2 or x^2= 2t+ 9. Solving for x= sqrt(2t+ 9).

Strictly speaking, there is no "y" in the problem so there is no y-axis! You are really asking "why is only the positive square root taken and not x= -sqrt(2t+ 9)?" The difficulty is that 1/x does not exist for x= 0 so dx/dt= 1/x does not exist at x= 0. The initial value, x= 3 when t= 0 is in the upper half plane and the solution cannot be extended past x= 0.

Wait... so does $x$ depend on $t$? Then why doesn't the graph show the point (0, 3) due to the fact that $x$ = 3 and $t$ = 0? Put another way, why does the graph pass through the origin instead?

- - - Updated - - -

MarkFL said:
I believe the faint graph is the imaginary part of the solution. I don't know why it would be included though.

Personally, I wouldn't even compute the solution to answer the question...given that $x$ is positive at $t=0$, and the fact that the RHS of the ODE is not going to change sign, we must therefore have that $x$ is an increasing function of $t$.

How do you know that "the RHS of the ODE is not going to change sign" everywhere else?

$\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{1}{x} \implies x = f(t)$

solving the DE with the given initial condition $(0,3)$ yields ...

$x(t) = \sqrt{2t+9}$

$\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2t+9}} = \dfrac{1}{x}$

skeeter said:
$\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{1}{x} \implies x = f(t)$

solving the DE with the given initial condition $(0,3)$ yields ...

$x(t) = \sqrt{2t+9}$

$\dfrac{dx}{dt} = \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2t+9}} = \dfrac{1}{x}$

Wait... so why didn't my prof draw the graph like the one you have here (which actually passes through (0, 3))? Is it because her graph is the general solution without taking into account the initial conditions?

Now, I'm still confused why my professor drew the very faint dashed graph that is the reflection of the "main" graph there... :(

Wait... so why didn't my prof draw the graph like the one you have here (which actually passes through (0, 3))? Is it because her graph is the general solution without taking into account the initial conditions?

I have no idea.

The chalkboard graph is when $C = 0$, $x = \sqrt{2t}$

the reflected graph is $x = \sqrt{2(-t)}$ ... I'd ask your prof for further clarification

skeeter said:
I have no idea.

The chalkboard graph is when $C = 0$, $x = \sqrt{2t}$

the reflected graph is $x = \sqrt{2(-t)}$ ... I'd ask your prof for further clarification

OK, I'll do that. Thanks!

Related to More Differential Equations....

1. What is the purpose of studying more differential equations?

The study of differential equations is essential for understanding and modeling a wide range of natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. By studying more differential equations, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of complex systems and make accurate predictions about their behavior.

2. How are differential equations used in scientific research?

Differential equations are used in scientific research to describe and model various physical and biological processes. They can be used to understand the behavior of systems over time, predict future outcomes, and analyze complex relationships between variables. Differential equations are also used to develop mathematical models that can be tested and refined through experimentation.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations take into account random fluctuations in a system.

4. How do scientists solve differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including analytical, numerical, and approximate techniques. Analytical methods involve finding a closed-form solution to the equation using techniques such as separation of variables or substitution. Numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution, while approximate methods use simplified equations to approximate the behavior of a system.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous real-world applications, including in physics (e.g. modeling projectile motion and fluid flow), engineering (e.g. designing control systems and analyzing circuits), and biology (e.g. modeling population growth and chemical reactions). They are also used in economics, finance, and other fields to analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.