More detailed spectrum of sodium?

In summary, a spectrum is a range of colors or wavelengths of light that can be seen when an object is analyzed using a spectrograph or other scientific tool. Sodium's spectrum is a series of bright yellow-orange lines that are emitted when an electric current is passed through a sample of sodium gas. Obtaining a more detailed spectrum of sodium allows for a more in-depth study of its behavior and properties, as well as identification of impurities and variations. This can have important implications in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and materials science. Advanced spectroscopic techniques are used to obtain a more detailed spectrum of sodium. The applications of a more detailed spectrum of sodium include analyzing stars and other celestial bodies, identifying and characterizing sodium-containing compounds, and developing
mitcho
I am in need of the wavelength of the spectral lines of sodium but all I can find is the wavelength for the doublet. I am looking for the cyan coloured one that appears very close to 500nm but I cannot find the exact value anywhere. Would anyone be able to direct me somewhere?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to More detailed spectrum of sodium?

1. What is a spectrum?

A spectrum is a range of colors or wavelengths of light that can be seen when an object is analyzed using a spectrograph or other scientific tool. It is a way to break down and study the different components of light emitted or absorbed by a substance.

2. What is sodium's spectrum?

Sodium's spectrum is a series of bright yellow-orange lines that are emitted when an electric current is passed through a sample of sodium gas. These lines are unique to sodium and can be used to identify the presence of sodium in various substances.

3. Why is a more detailed spectrum of sodium important?

A more detailed spectrum of sodium allows scientists to study the behavior and properties of sodium in a more in-depth manner. It can also help to identify any impurities or variations in the sodium sample, which can have important implications in various fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and materials science.

4. How is a more detailed spectrum of sodium obtained?

A more detailed spectrum of sodium can be obtained by using more advanced spectroscopic techniques, such as high-resolution spectroscopy or Fourier transform spectroscopy. These methods allow for a more precise measurement of the wavelengths and intensities of the spectral lines, providing a more detailed and accurate spectrum.

5. What applications does a more detailed spectrum of sodium have?

A more detailed spectrum of sodium has many applications in different fields of science and technology. It is used in the analysis of stars and other celestial bodies, as well as in the identification and characterization of sodium-containing compounds in various materials. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new technologies, such as sodium-based batteries and lamps.