More alkyl groups you're attached to means you are more energetically

In summary, in alkenes, having more alkyl groups attached leads to increased stability, which in turn increases the reactivity of the intermediate carbocation. This is because the more stable the carbocation, the easier it is to form, and this governs the activation energy for the reaction.
Kurokari
In alkenes, the more alkyl groups you're attached to means you are more energetically stable, and that we know the reactivity increases as the stability of the intermediate carbocation increases (with tertiary the most stable)

I'm puzzled by this relationship, how is it that when it is more stable, the reactivity increases.

I suspect that it is because when a primary carbocation is less stable, it tends to revert back to its previous form, thus deterring the reaction while a tertiery carbocation is more readily formed and react with other substances.

I would appreciate it deeply if anyone who can clear my doubts :)

EDIT: There was a mention that the stability of the intermediate ions governs the activation energy for the reaction. (It would be nice to explain this line too!)

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

Maybe you can formulate your question more clearly. First you mention stability of alkenes, then you talk of carbocations and then you are taking about some unspecified reaction.
For some basic chemical kinetics, this article in wikipedia may be a starting point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_state_theory

I'm sorry for the poorly-phrased question, give me another try at this.

An intermediate ion with tertiary carbocation is the most stable right? This is because it has the most alkyl group attached to it, thus making it stable.

There is also a mention that the more stable the intermediate ion(that is the tertiary carbocation in this case) is, the better the reactivity(means the faster it reacts). I'm confused how is it that a more stable compound can be more reactive.

Also there is a line that says that the intermediate ion governs activation energy, I feel that this line may help me understand my question better, however I fail to see any significant relationship between the activation energy and the intermediate ion.

I hope this is better.

I asked you to specify the reaction you have in mind. I suppose you are taking about some reaction of an alkene with an electrophilic.

Kurokari said:
An intermediate ion with tertiary carbocation is the most stable right? This is because it has the most alkyl group attached to it, thus making it stable.
Yes
There is also a mention that the more stable the intermediate ion(that is the tertiary carbocation in this case) is, the better the reactivity(means the faster it reacts). I'm confused how is it that a more stable compound can be more reactive.
The point is not that the carbocation reacts more rapidly but that it is formed more rapidly which is the step which limits the velocity of the reaction.

I can provide some clarification on this concept. In organic chemistry, the stability of a molecule or intermediate ion is determined by its electronic structure and the distribution of electrons within the molecule. Alkyl groups, which are hydrocarbon chains, are known to have a stabilizing effect on molecules due to their electron-donating nature.

In the case of alkenes, the more alkyl groups that are attached to the double bond, the more stable the molecule becomes. This is because the alkyl groups donate their electrons to the double bond, making it more difficult to break and increasing the overall stability of the molecule.

Now, when it comes to reactivity, it is important to understand that reactions occur when molecules can lower their overall energy, which is referred to as the activation energy. In the case of alkenes, the addition of alkyl groups increases the stability of the intermediate carbocation, which in turn lowers the activation energy for the reaction. This means that the reaction can occur more easily and at a faster rate.

In simpler terms, the stability of the intermediate carbocation determines how easily a reaction can occur. A more stable intermediate means a lower activation energy, and therefore a higher reactivity. This is why tertiary carbocations, which are the most stable, are the most reactive.

I hope this helps to clarify the relationship between stability and reactivity in alkenes. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Related to More alkyl groups you're attached to means you are more energetically

1. What is the significance of alkyl groups in terms of energy?

Alkyl groups are important because they can influence the energy of a molecule. The more alkyl groups a molecule has attached to it, the more energetically stable it becomes.

2. How do alkyl groups affect the energy of a molecule?

Alkyl groups are electron-donating groups, meaning they can donate electrons to other parts of the molecule. This can lead to stabilizing interactions, making the molecule more energetically favorable.

3. Is there a limit to how many alkyl groups can be attached to a molecule?

There is no specific limit to the number of alkyl groups that can be attached to a molecule. However, as the number of alkyl groups increases, the molecule may become too large and bulky, leading to steric hindrance and decreased stability.

4. Can alkyl groups have different effects on different types of molecules?

Yes, the effect of alkyl groups on a molecule's energy can vary depending on the specific molecules involved. For example, the presence of alkyl groups on a hydrocarbon chain can increase the molecule's stability, while on a polar molecule, they may cause a decrease in stability.

5. How can the energy of a molecule be measured and compared based on its alkyl group content?

The energy of a molecule can be measured using techniques such as infrared spectroscopy or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. By comparing the spectra of molecules with varying numbers of alkyl groups, we can observe changes in the peak positions and intensities, providing insights into the molecule's energy levels.