Moon landing was true - how do i always win this debate?

In summary: I think we can all agree that the evidence is overwhelming that the moon landing was real. So what's the motivation for some people to reject that?
Ian_Brooks
I hate having to defend the moon landing since so many people disagree with it. The best piece of evidence i can put forward is the mythbusters page debunking the skepticism
http://mythbustersresults.com/episode-104-nasa-moon-landing

highlight of the page

mythbusters said:
The Apollo astronauts left behind special equipment on the Moon like reflectors that scientists can bounce lasers off of.

confirmed

The Mythbusters went to an observatory equipped with a high powered laser. They first fired at the bare lunar surface but did not detect the laser bouncing back. Then they pointed the laser at a reflector left behind by NASA and received a confirmed bounce.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about we send all of Earth's nuclear weapons to the moon and make this question irrelevant.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

But, such a debate is essentially unwinnable, at least against the harcore conspiracy theorists, since the Moon hoaxers don't deal in facts. They have a belief and nothing is going to shake them from it.

Blenton said:
How about we send all of Earth's nuclear weapons to the moon and make this question irrelevant.

Please. We couldn't even make a crater naked-eye visible from Earth.

Not with that attitude..

Build your own spaceship and take them to the moon to show them all the empty crisp packets and toenail clippings that were left there.

brewnog said:
Build your own spaceship and take them to the moon to show them all the empty crisp packets and toenail clippings that were left there.

And then leave them there... I think this thread has some promise now...

negitron said:
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

But, such a debate is essentially unwinnable, at least against the harcore conspiracy theorists, since the Moon hoaxers don't deal in facts. They have a belief and nothing is going to shake them from it.
Negitron hit the nail on the head here. Since the conspiracy is about faking something and covering it up there is no evidence that couldn't, in theory be faked or covered up. So no evidence can convince them.

Punching them works - not an accepted method of scientific debate but effective

This is the way that works for me.Especially in these kinds of debates.
http://home.tiac.net/~cri_d/cri/1998/argue.html

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Negitron hit the nail on the head here. Since the conspiracy is about faking something and covering it up there is no evidence that couldn't, in theory be faked or covered up. So no evidence can convince them.

Yep, that's about it. The best way to deal with them is to roll your eyes at them, mutter, "Geez, you're such a moron," and walk away. To do anything else gives their claims too much credibility in their own mind, and another platform to spew their nonsense to potentially suck in more gullible, innocent bystanders.

mgb_phys said:
Punching them works - not an accepted method of scientific debate but effective
Indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU

Oh, that's beautiful! :D

As much as I understand his motivation for it, I have to say my opinion of the man dropped a few points after first seeing that.

He's old, I'll let him have it.

negitron said:
As much as I understand his motivation for it, I have to say my opinion of the man dropped a few points after first seeing that.

Really? In my eyes his respect level went up about 10 points. Aldrin was just like 'tell me if this is fake, *****.'

What motivation do moon-hoaxers have for not accepting the moon landing?

I can see creationists/ID proponents rejecting evolution or the age of Earth because it conflicts with their literal interpretation of whatever creation myths they hold, but I don't understand the angle the moon-hoaxers are coming from.

Related to Moon landing was true - how do i always win this debate?

1. Is there any evidence that the moon landing was faked?

No, there is no credible evidence that the moon landing was faked. The overwhelming amount of evidence, including photographs, videos, and testimonies from astronauts and scientists, all support the fact that the moon landing was real.

2. How did the astronauts survive the intense radiation on the way to the moon?

The spacecraft used by the astronauts, the Apollo Command/Service Module, had thick walls made of aluminum and stainless steel that shielded them from most of the radiation. Additionally, the astronauts were only exposed to the radiation for a short period of time, minimizing the potential harm.

3. Why is there no evidence of the American flag waving on the moon?

The flag was not waving, it was simply moving because of the momentum from being planted in the ground. The lack of atmosphere on the moon means that there is no air resistance to stop the flag from moving, unlike on Earth where the wind can make flags appear to wave.

4. How do you explain the lack of stars in the moon landing photos?

The cameras used during the moon landing had a relatively short exposure time, making it difficult to capture the faint light of stars. Additionally, the bright lunar surface and the astronauts' suits would have made it difficult for the cameras to properly expose the stars.

5. Could the moon landing have been faked using advanced Hollywood technology?

No, the technology available in the late 1960s was not advanced enough to fake the moon landing. Special effects at the time were limited and could not have produced the high-quality footage and images that were captured during the moon landing. Additionally, it would have been virtually impossible to keep such a large-scale conspiracy a secret for so many years.